Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: candling  (Read 1721 times)

geebee

• Joined Aug 2010
  • N,E.Fife
candling
« on: May 15, 2011, 12:48:44 am »
I've been reading recent posts about candling but still not sure what I'm seeing. It's roughly day 14 - I'd just left the eggs my 2 bantams hadbeen laying then noticed one was only coming out of the coop when I brought food, after a couple of days she wasn't coming out at all so moved her & the eggs. I tried candling them tonight using a box I'd rigged up & very bright torch. I could see a dark mass & what I think was an air sac in all of them but no movement. The last one had 2 big eyes so definately a chick there. Is the dark mass the chick?

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
Re: candling
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2011, 09:02:18 am »
Yes, the dark mass is the chick :) You don't always get much movement at this stage. An infertile egg is called a 'clear' egg for just that reason - it's clear, you can see nothing really inside.

If you candle again just before they're due you'll see a much bigger air sac and the rest of the egg completely dark as the chick has filled it. Sometimes you can see the beak chipping away inside  ;D

Occasionally an egg will stop developing part way along. Then you can see too much 'unused up egg contents' and less chick, compared with the others.

Raine

• Joined May 2011
  • Lincoln
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2011, 09:46:30 am »
Hi there

Any advice on candling quail eggs.  This is my first incubation and we 5 days in, so know it is too early yet, but many seem to say it is hard to see anything through the shells.

Thank you

Lauraine

geebee

• Joined Aug 2010
  • N,E.Fife
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2011, 02:12:48 pm »
Thanks jaykay, now I'm getting excited!  ;DI just didn't trust what I was seeing, never done it before.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS