Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What to do with a crate  (Read 4253 times)

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
What to do with a crate
« on: February 06, 2011, 04:06:48 pm »
We picked up a rather fine crate that was used for delivering a load of tiles to my neighbour's house. It is made of wood slats - like a pallet - but in crate form.

Measures about a meter square and stands about 75cm high.

I thought I had seen an article in a magazine a few months ago about making it into a waist-high cold frame - but can;t find that magazine anywhere now :-(

It seems to good to use for leaves

Any ideas?

Susanna
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: What to do with a crate
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2011, 06:24:28 pm »
I made a whelping box out of one years ago, then lent it to a friend and never saw it again - it was brilliant.  I also used another one to make a really deep raised bed and filled it with rubble first so it didn't need too much soil.  It was very successful too - have moved from there but the new owners think it's fab.  Mine came from my late husband's laboratory - instrument crates, very similar to the slate and tile ones
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2011, 06:39:47 pm »
Mmmm - I like the idea of another raised bed. We have a pile of rubble that we could use. It would be good to do the salad stuff in there - put it on a nice south-facing wall and keep it seperate...... block up one of the rat holes into the wood shed too :-)

Last year we got confused with a "salad variety" seed packet and ended up not knowing which was weeds and which was salad. :-§
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

silver swan

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Scotland
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2011, 06:46:10 pm »
My thoughts exactly Suzy - sounds like an ideal raised bed or hot bed for greenhouse (if suitably lined).  ;)

faith0504

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Cairngorms
  • take it easy and chill
    • blaemuir cottage
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2011, 07:49:42 pm »
we turned a big wooden potato crate/box into a hen house, put a roof on it and a ramp come door, its brilliant, i use an old cast iron bath as a raised herb bed that works very well  :wave:

Blonde

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2011, 01:11:39 pm »
Make it in to a planter box for your beautiful flowers

Mel

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2011, 08:42:40 am »
We had some of these given to use and if stood on their sides and roofed so to speak make fantastic log shelters,we also used some for giant compost bins! :)

langdon

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Pembrokeshire
  • The Happy Smallholder!
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2011, 09:44:20 pm »
for those who may keep goats esp billys, they come handy when preparing a shed for him,
nail or screw up on the inside of the shed to reinforce the shed to take the pressure when the billy rubbs him
self along the inside.
depending on if you seprate the timber on the crate is up to you
Langdon ;)

loosey

• Joined May 2010
  • Cornwall
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2011, 11:50:23 am »
I use them as hay holders for the ponies and hseep in the winter ... limits waste and keeps them occupied for longer! :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS