Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: miniature pig wanted  (Read 20030 times)

demonfarmer2630

• Joined May 2011
  • kennoway
  • soor plooms
miniature pig wanted
« on: May 12, 2011, 12:41:09 pm »
im looking for a type of pig that doesn't grow very big iv seen them on TV where they dont get much bigger than a foot long please let me know its for my disabled son he loves pigs so im looking but as i have no transport help would be useful please let me know thank you

yours sincerely
mr m ryder

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
Re: miniature pig wanted
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2011, 12:55:51 pm »
I am very sorry to hear of your diabled son and very pleased he loves pigs but please please please do not go down the road of a miniature pig. Pigs are sociable animals and should not be kept alone and at the end of the day they are livestock which means you have to go thro all the hoops and paperwork like the rest of us  livestock keepers do. The trouble with so called miniature pigs is that their genes come from big pigs and they do grow and end up at the RSPCA when unsuspecting people like yourself buy them and then can't cope.
If you have the where withall and necessary area to keep a couple of pigs go for a breed like the kune kune which eat grass and are great as pets (Happy Hippy can help on this)
You will generally find the response on this forum similar to mine.
Sorry
Mandy  :pig:

gavo

• Joined Aug 2008
  • Belcoo, Enniskillen, N.Ireland
  • Crazy Pig Lover
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2011, 01:09:35 pm »
I hate to be the one to tell you but there is no such thing as a miniature pig. There are some smaller breeds Kune Kune and Pot Bellied but they are both bigger than the size you say you are looking for.There are unscrupulous people out there who will sell you a Miniature Pig you will pay a premium price and get a whole heap of disappointment further down the line as the lovely cute little pig grows way bigger than you were ever led to believe it would or could. Please don't waste your money lining a con mans pocket.I don't know your circumstances but perhaps pig adoption would be an answer; your son gets to go and see the pig when he takes the notion; the owner can send the odd photo  and update your son on how the pig is getting on; your son could name the pig aswell.We have done this for a young boy in Russia it cost the family nothing it was a pig we were keeping for breeding and he was able to see the pig when he came over to visit relatives. Perhaps someone on here with pigs may be in your area and  could oblige they are an ever so helpful bunch .

P.S fowgill must be able to type quicker than me as no one had posted when i started to write
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 01:11:24 pm by gavo »

welshlass181

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2011, 01:10:55 pm »
My son is registered blind and i have Kune crosses and 5 Kune pure breeds.  Yes they do make lovely pets and are very nice around children (4 of mine are full boars at the moment .. until the 24th of this month anyway) they are small in pig terms but still reasonably heavy.  The hype about "micro" pigs i personally think is simply that .... hype.  I know of a rescue centre that took in so called micro pigs recently that the owner paid £700 each for as they grew bigger than she expected  ??? couldn't for the life of me work that one out.  

Not that i am an expert as i have only recently started to keep/rear pigs, but, this designer breeding sucks and the pigs end up suffering.  (dismounts soap box)

The Woodsiders

• Joined Aug 2011
  • Near Horley in Surrey
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2011, 02:15:41 pm »
Hi

Whereabouts are you? I am sure that you must be somewhere close to a forum member who would be kind enough for you and your son to pay a visit to see some piggies, they are all a very, very friendly bunch (the forum members that is, not the piggies)

loosey

• Joined May 2010
  • Cornwall
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2011, 03:02:39 pm »
I'm friendly  :wave: and so are my piggies!!  ;D :pig: :pig: ... although they are not small ... at all!

HappyHippy

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2011, 03:54:44 pm »
I'd echo what everyone has said about so-called 'micro' pigs - have a look at facebook, there's a page called 'The truth about mini pigs' - it makes very disturbing reading  :(
But for a nice, friendly, small pig you can't beat Kune Kune's  ;) ;D (plural - one on it's own is not fair on the pig, it needs company of it's own kind) they're wonderful, friendly and really easy to keep - OUTSIDE. No pig is suitable for a house pet as they WILL destroy your walls, floors and furniture  :o
I think the nearest person to you in Scotland who keeps them is Wilma Johnston in Falkirk - I'm sure she'd be happy to show you round and explain about them (as would I, but I'm down in Lanarkshire so not as close  :-[) My second daughter is autistic and gets on really well with the pigs, so they are a good choice, providing you're set up for them. I would suggest a lot of thought, thinking and planning as you're looking at having them for 10+ years  ;)
There is a forum on the Kune Kune society forum too - might be worth posting something on there too.
HTH
Karen x

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2011, 06:18:28 pm »
I'd echo what everyone has said about so-called 'micro' pigs - have a look at facebook, there's a page called 'The truth about mini pigs' - it makes very disturbing reading  :(
But for a nice, friendly, small pig you can't beat Kune Kune's  ;) ;D (plural - one on it's own is not fair on the pig, it needs company of it's own kind) they're wonderful, friendly and really easy to keep - OUTSIDE. No pig is suitable for a house pet as they WILL destroy your walls, floors and furniture  :o
I think the nearest person to you in Scotland who keeps them is Wilma Johnston in Falkirk - I'm sure she'd be happy to show you round and explain about them (as would I, but I'm down in Lanarkshire so not as close  :-[) My second daughter is autistic and gets on really well with the pigs, so they are a good choice, providing you're set up for them. I would suggest a lot of thought, thinking and planning as you're looking at having them for 10+ years  ;)
There is a forum on the Kune Kune society forum too - might be worth posting something on there too.
HTH

Ditto...
Our Kunes range from about a foot to 27inches in height & up to 108 kg in weight.  They are really easy to keep too - BUT not singularly & suitable housing & fencing is a must - for their welfare & your stress levels too :D
Ps. we had our first KKs from Wilma - they've grown really well & one of them is expecting to a lovely boar of HH's  :love: :pig: :love:
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

HappyHippy

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2011, 07:25:26 pm »
Ditto...
Our Kunes range from about a foot to 27inches in height & up to 108 kg in weight.  They are really easy to keep too - BUT not singularly & suitable housing & fencing is a must - for their welfare & your stress levels too :D
Ps. we had our first KKs from Wilma - they've grown really well & one of them is expecting to a lovely boar of HH's  :love: :pig: :love:
Yup, most definately expecting  ;) :) No signs of any more seasons and not standing at all. (except when I go and give her a 'spa' treatment  ;D)
Karen x

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2011, 07:57:25 pm »
I think the nearest person to you in Scotland who keeps them is Wilma Johnston in Falkirk

I know Wilma! She is one of th RHET farmers; her daughter Emily was the RHET coordinator but one before me. Lovely family. Used to host really good farm visits for us.

demonfarmer2630

• Joined May 2011
  • kennoway
  • soor plooms
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2011, 08:12:32 pm »
i thank you all for your posts but i only have a small garden and i am after miniature pigs  i know thay like company i am looking for a cupple  please let me know if you can find any

dizzy1pig

• Joined Jan 2010
  • Leuchars, Fife
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2011, 08:16:39 pm »
ha ha...
i have rehomed a micropig......
he is up to my knee so approx 27" high, abot 40 " long and defo has kune in him...

miniature pig = kune kune

and you need cph number

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2011, 08:18:35 pm »
Quote from: demonfarmer2630 link=topic=15161.msg146560#msg146560 date=1305227552i am after miniature pigs  [/quote

sorry mate, There Is No Such Thing!!

how small is your garden? Cos Kune kunes are the smallest you'll get in Britain... and they'll root it up in a matter of days.
Little Blue

BadgerFace

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Sussex
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2011, 08:20:07 pm »
i thank you all for your posts but i only have a small garden and i am after miniature pigs  i know thay like company i am looking for a cupple  please let me know if you can find any

Micro pig… I think you may mean one of these cute little guys !

Breeder of Pedigree Torddu Badger Face Welsh Mountain Sheep & Anglo Nubian Goats

ambriel

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Kinlochbervie, NW Sutherland, Scotland
  • Mad, bad, and dangerous to know!
    • Harbour Cottage
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2011, 08:20:27 pm »
Having read a few of demonfarmer's other postings on this site the word 'troll' springs to mind...

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS