Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Where is the heat !!! ???  (Read 2255 times)

Galician Smallholder

• Joined Dec 2010
Where is the heat !!! ???
« on: May 12, 2011, 09:17:02 am »
Hi one of my Sows (large White) just doesn’t seem to be coming on heat, this will be her second litter but like her sisters I haven’t been able to see any of the usual signs. She was dry around 11th March so if my calcs are correct she has missed 2 rounds.

I AI and at 15 euros a pop plus 1 hour return trip I want to be sure that she is on before I take action. She seems perfectly healthy, eating and spending all day outside. Has anyone encountered this before? Am I just not looking hard enough? Are there any methods to enhance the signs to make it more obvious ?? ………possible new invention idea!!!! Heat test (like a pregnancy test) providing you with an indication of when/if she is on heat.  ;D I know I would buy one.

Many thanks

Mr Pig

• Joined Mar 2009
Re: Where is the heat !!! ???
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2011, 10:39:40 am »
Is she on her own? If so perhaps try putting a gilt or sow who is cycling in the pen next to hers - it can sometimes bring them on (presuming you don't have a boar around to act as a teaser). As well as the physical signs look for changes in temperament - ear flapping, squealling, bloody-mindedness (no, I'm not about to commit any suicidal faux pas by making comparisons). You can also get an aerosol product called Boar Mate (via Google) which can help bring a sow on to heat.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 10:42:33 am by Mr Pig »

Tamsaddle

• Joined May 2011
  • Hampshire, near Portsmouth
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2011, 11:36:09 am »
The Boar Mate spray is brilliant, particularly for fine tuning the timing.   When they are ready to be serviced, one short spray and they will stand statue-like still for 15 minutes with moving a whisker or blinking.    If you use the spray too early or too late, they take no notice and seem to find it slightly annoying.    In addition to checking the state of the vulva each day, the other critical test is pressure on the back.   When they stand still to this that is the time to try the Boar Mate spray.   Best of luck - Tamsaddle

Tudful Tamworths

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Liz's website
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2011, 12:11:12 am »
Have you thought of trying to induce heat? Not sure if you can get it where you are, but an injection of PG600 (which contains the hormone prostaglandin) will bring her into heat in five days. You can also use Regumate, which is added to the food.
If you plan it carefully, you should be able to order your semen to coincide with heat. Hope this helps.
Liz
www.lizshankland.com www.biggingerpigs.com
Author of the Haynes Pig Manual, Haynes Smallholding Manual, and the Haynes Sheep Manual. Three times winner of the Tamworth Champion of Champions. Teaching smallholding courses at Kate Humble's farm: www.humblebynature.com

Galician Smallholder

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2011, 03:19:54 pm »
Thanks for the advise, I went to the local agri health shop and sure enough I was able to purchase the drug. Administered it 3 days ago and just like it says on the tin she came on heat this morning. AI (first round completed this morning). Thanks again, I never knew such drugs existed.  :D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS