Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: How to get shiny coat on a goat?  (Read 7841 times)

McFrosty

• Joined Sep 2010
How to get shiny coat on a goat?
« on: May 11, 2011, 09:37:24 pm »
Hi all,
My lovely girl Esme is feeling fab again but someone was visiting the other day who says her coat is dull looking. What goodies, or extras or supplements can I give her to get her a 'just left the salon' shine?
Thanks all

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
Re: How to get shiny coat on a goat?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2011, 09:43:31 pm »
will she take Brewers yeast?
full of vitamins ... we put it their drinking water, but they aren't too keen though my friends' goats love it!

give her a good brush, she'll like that.   What breed / colour is she?  ours are moulting, so the darker ones look quite unkempt at the moment.

glad to hear she's feeling better  :)
Little Blue

McFrosty

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2011, 09:55:42 pm »
She's a very old toggenburg cross ( with 'Old English' according to the lovely mad goat lady I got her from. Will try her with the brewers yeast and see if she likes it :-)

Sandy

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2011, 10:39:38 pm »
Interesting, we thought that about our Labrador Bitch but she is improving with added diet things, sorry to diversify but, would brewers yeast be OK for dogs then?

NormandyMary

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2011, 05:10:22 pm »
Sooooo glad that Esme is 100% fit again. Great news!

jinglejoys

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2011, 05:53:22 pm »
Interesting, we thought that about our Labrador Bitch but she is improving with added diet things, sorry to diversify but, would brewers yeast be OK for dogs then?

Always used to give my dogs Brewers yeast when I showed :)

McFrosty

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2011, 06:31:36 pm »
Esme giving my young girls a run for their money now,full of bounce. Sorry to be thick but how much brewers yeast do I give her? Never ever seen it myself, is it liquid or solid?  :dunce:

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2011, 07:56:27 pm »
I have a huge jar (well, its not really, just seems to be as it takes so long to get through!) of brewers yeast powder.
I put a couple of teaspoons into warmish water to make abit of a paste, then mix it into their water bowl ( a large washing up bowl)

the "instuctions" say............
"cattle & horses up to 4 teaspoons daily
Sheep & goats up to 2 teaspoons daily
Poultry 1 level teaspoon per 12 birds once a week"
 And that its "a natural source of vitamin B group vitamins to correct deficiencies such as poor skin, feather and coat, loss of appetite etc!

cost me £3.00 for 500g from www.smallholdersupplies.co.uk

it looks like fine sand  and smells like... a brewery!!
:D
Little Blue

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2011, 07:04:26 am »
The Old English in the mix may well contribute to a rough coat. Even our youngsters don't have shiny coats and the adults can have rough, and therefore apparently dull, coats.

Be interested to hear if the brewers yeast changes things  :)

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2011, 09:45:44 am »
I will just have to try that, my BT type girls is getting a bit of a rough coat, but as it is on her neck where her collar may rub, it may just be that.... rubbing. Oh, the things we do for our goats! They get more supplements/multivitamins etc than I will ever take!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS