Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What breed for a new keeper?  (Read 8018 times)

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
Re: What breed for a new keeper?
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2011, 05:52:43 am »
Now to throw a spanner in the works !!!!

I keep pure Saanen in addition to my large herd of ANs.

I find my ANs are the easiest, they dont jump fences...very affectionate... come when called....and are generally good about the place.

The Saanens are excellent jumpers... they are disobedient.... come when called, mostly.....leap off the top of banks, can't look when they land in case of broken legs !..... jump about in the parlour.
But I am trying to save the pure breed from dying out in UK !!!!!!!!

Actually AN xS are calm & placid,  well mine are !!!!!!

As far as milking goes,  the AN is more likely to have an udder which is easier to hand milk for a beginner.,

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2011, 08:39:14 am »
Thnks Wytsend. Calm non jumping (if poss) is what I'm after.

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2011, 09:38:13 am »
Then consider an AN or 2.... I think they are more intelligent anyway !!

Got kids for sale !!!  sometimes kids are better for a beginner as they then adapt to your way of doing things.  Asults, whilst you may be able to milk more quickly, very often are stubborn about changes.... this goes for all breeds... and this can lead to loss of humour for both parties !!!!!!!

Give me a ring if you like   01647 231456

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2011, 11:45:22 am »
That's really interesting actually Wytsend - when you say about AN's having udders that are easier for new goat owners to handle, have you found saanen's have less easy to handle udders? its just my saanenX has quite small teats and having been used to a toggenburg with a wonderfully easy udder its a bit of a challenge!
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2011, 12:52:34 pm »
Thanks again Wytsend. Not ready yet as I need hubby to finish fencing and build shelter. Where abouts are you located?

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2011, 06:17:38 pm »
cLOSE TO eXETER.... about 15 mins away.

BrookfieldFarm

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Welshpool- Shropshire/ Powys
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2011, 06:01:25 pm »
Golden Guernsey!!

jinglejoys

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2011, 09:38:16 pm »
Hmm...I had an ANX    once ;)could jump out of anywhere and was as noisy as hell.Jumped a 5'chain link  fence with front feet hobbled,front feet hobbled and tied to one back foot,front feet hobbled tied to one hind foot and a Spanish cross round her neck.....tasted good though ;)

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2011, 05:51:22 am »
There are always exceptions to every rule !!!!!

I once had a BT who found walking on barn roofs great fun, probably because it caused a stir from the humans !!!!   I was very sorry when she died of old age... she was such a comedian you had to forgive all her little pranks.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS