Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: A most upsetting, worrying and stressful afternoon.  (Read 6612 times)

jinglejoys

• Joined Jul 2009
Re: A most upsetting, worrying and stressful afternoon.
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2011, 05:58:14 pm »
Typical of the way things are done nowadays.If they had proper farm vets that got on with the job and people weren't so squeamish it would be much better for them.

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2011, 07:05:13 pm »
My vet is a farm vet - German and did most of her training with goats - why oh why would I attempt things myself if I was unsure, than trust the sure hands of Kirsten - she's fantastic - I realise it's her job and she's very good at it, and I realise my limitations. At the end of the day to me it's the welfare of the goats that counts - maybe you weren't criticising but... A breeder I know with over 15 years experience had to take 3 if not more of her boys to the vet last year after the band ended up not capturing one testicle so in my mind I'd rather them go to the vet first time around .....but that just me :) :)
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

NormandyMary

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2011, 07:52:56 pm »
Our vets practice is quite large and is divided into 2 sections, domestic and farm animals. The vet who did the boys was from the farm side of the practice and as we live in very rural France, Im sure he would have dealt with many goats in the past.

As Billy was okay after his op, I think it was just bad luck that Toby had a problem. After all, lets face it, humans all react differently to drugs dont they?

Anyway, Ive just put them to bed and they did seem a bit perkier.

ouessant

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2011, 09:14:10 pm »
I lived in France and my vet was great.  Most French vets don't seem to have a clue about goats (my friends and I never found one!) but my vet just gave a local injection, did the deed and that was that.  The lad limped a little for the rest of the day but the next day was jumping about as usual.   My vet didn't know much about goats, but certainly knew her job for castration, I've never heard of kids being anaesthatised completely like that!

NormandyMary

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2011, 06:23:00 pm »
The boys are back to normal, except for one thing. They just do NOT like me anymore. They are okay if I have branches of their favourite bush in my hand to give them, but everytime I go to stroke Toby (the most tame one) he backs away. They then devour all the leaves and go into their house. Ive sat inside their pen with them for ages just talking to them but they wont come near me. They'll let my husband stroke them, just not me. Are they renowned for having good memories?
Just read your post again jinglejoys. I dont think Im unusually squeamish. Only last year, after my cockeral Monty was attacked by a fox, maggots infested a wound that I was unaware of and I had to spend an afternoon with a pair of tweezers picking them out of his neck..over 50 to my recollection. I absolutely detest maggots. Shortly after that, he contracted bumblefoot, a particularly nasty case. It was my job to bathe his foot everyday, sometimes twice a day, cut into his foot where it was swollen, and squeeze the pus out, then dress it. Then give him oral antibiotics. I know of many who said that they couldnt have done either of those things, I just had to get on with it. I was not prepared for what I was about to see on Wednesday, I thought I was leaving my boys at the vets to be done later that afternoon. I had no idea that I was to assist the vet to hold their heads etc. If I had been aware of what the proceedure involved, Im sure I would have coped better. I feel a tad hurt as perhaps you feel I shouldnt be keeping goats If I got upset at my boys plight.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2011, 06:25:06 pm by NormandyMary »

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2011, 08:25:49 pm »
I think you were very brave to stay Mary, and I'd have felt exactly the same as you did.  I'm not convinced that goats or any other animals would bear grudges - after all they don't have logic do they, they couldn't blame you for  what has happened to them.  I suspect they still feel a little under the weather and will be back to their usual relationship with you soon.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2011, 08:39:03 pm »
I agree with Annie, NormandyMary - goats don't bear grudges they probably just need a bit more time to recover. When we feel poorly we need space sometimes and as prey animals goats sometimes try to cover up how they are feeling (ie. they don't tell us they are ill till the last minute as they feel vulnerable) so maybe they are remianing aloof to try and cover themselves.
Reggie took a while to be my friend again after we tagged their ears (and the stupid tag gun got stuck!! it was horrible!) but I bribed him back into my affections with rich tea biscuits. He practically sits on my lap now while I'm milking savannah the soppy boy!
I'm sure jingle joys didn't mean to hurt your feelings, perhaps she was referring to our mention of boys being squeamish about seeing male animals neutered  :)
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2011, 08:48:27 pm »
Having said all that, Hester, my German Wirehair who died last week, completely ignored me or any command I gave her for three months after John died - so perhaps dogs are a little different ..........................  ::) ;) ;D
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS