Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: A most upsetting, worrying and stressful afternoon.  (Read 6598 times)

NormandyMary

• Joined Apr 2011
A most upsetting, worrying and stressful afternoon.
« on: May 11, 2011, 05:49:28 pm »
Well, today was the day that our little angels went to have their bits seen to a dot be honest, if I'd know what it entailed, I'd have thought twice about having it done. To see them trussed up in sticky bandage to stop them moving, was upsetting in itself, its when they did their most crying. They then had injection after injection, to put them to sleep, andtibiotic and another one, they were like little pincushions. Billy was done first, and once asleep, he was perfectly well behaved. However, when it came to Toby's turn, he made such a noise it was awful. The injections were done, the deed was done, he should have woken up. He didnt.The vet gave him another injection, still asleep. At this time I was beginning to panic as Billy had been up and about straight away. I think in total, Toby had another 3 jabs of different drugs to try and wake him. Finally after about half an hour, we were able to get him on his feet. Actually, we brought BIlly over to him, and his nudges to his brother seemed to help.I dont mind telling you, I cried with joy. To see my little boy lying there with his tongue hanging out of his mouth was so distressing. Once he was awake, we had to walk him around for a good while then the vet checked him again. I had to sit in the back of the car so that I could watch them the whole journey home.
We now have them recovering in our porch, Ive just been able to give them some water, they are not to eat until tomorrow, but all they are doing is bleating and Im sure its because they are hungry. They havent drunk the water, even though they have been weeing a lot!
I feel so awful that Ive put my boys through that. I had to help the vet, so I was totally aware of what he was doing. Bloomin awful. I never believed that such little boys could have such huge testicles!!! They will be going hime to their house a bit later, when Ive cleared it of hay, otherwise their belating would keep us awake all night!

Cinderhills

• Joined Jul 2010
  • North Yorkshire
Re: A most upsetting, worrying and stressful afternoon.
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2011, 05:51:48 pm »
Poor you.  I can imagine it was traumatic.  Here's to a speedy recovery.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2011, 06:07:25 pm »
Good grief - is it always that bad?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2011, 06:47:53 pm »
I'm sorry you had such a bad afternoon. Console yourself with the fact that you did have the vet do it and they didn't feel anything as a result  :-*

Goat kids crying is a very hard noise to listen too - too close to humans I think, it triggers that response in us.

You will be traumatised and all they'll be thinking is 'I'm thirsty and could do with a snack'  :-*

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2011, 08:02:25 pm »
how old are they now Mary?

Doganjo - no it isn't!
If you have them ringed (like lambs) at a few days old, they just "drop off" - if they are being disbudded (having the horn buds cauterised) the vet will ring while  the kid is knocked out... but if not (and in my experience most pygmies stay horned) then you just "elastorate" the rings on.
  Depends as well on the size of the goat... and of his bits!

Hope the littl'uns recover quickly :)
Little Blue

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2011, 08:31:53 pm »
Oh dear Mary, not a good day for you at all. They will have forgotten about it sooner than you will but the worst is now over
Having read that, I will definately get any boys born next spring ringed!!
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

NormandyMary

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2011, 08:47:05 pm »
Trouble is, when you get them from someone already a few months old, you dont really have a choice. Still, I think the boys are still talking to me, and tomorrow, they will get some branches from their favourite bush as a treat. There havent been any after problems, like bleeding which the vet asked us to look out for, so he did a good job.
I think I just wish that I hadnt been there to see it. Although I didnt watch the deed being done, (I was up at the head end)seeing the testicles lying on the surgical mat was just too much information. The vet joked with my OH and told him he was next, then he asked if we wanted to take the removed bits home!!!
Im slowly de-stressing now so I should be OK tomorrow. Oh the joys of owning animals. Still, you have to take the rough with the smooth in life dont you?!
By the way, Ill pass on all your good wishes to the boys when I let them out tomorrow morning!

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2011, 09:17:23 pm »
it was definitely the right thing to do, you do not want to have two VERY smelly boys in a few months time. They will also stay much more affectionate when they are wethers.

If they are pygmies it may be very difficult to get the rings on them at the 7 day maximum, so the vet at a few months old may be your safer option (if they stay horned).

I find disbudding usually very stressful, its the smell that's worst. But again they are soon up and ricochet-ing off the walls - all they need is a skateboard!

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2011, 12:25:03 am »
The vet obviously castrated them surgically, and they would have had a pain killer, but all the same it would be traumatic for them.  Goats are not good with pain, and there is always some bleating!!  One of my billies was a stud billy, and not castrated until he was quite old, but he was on his feet and fine pretty much instantly. Perhaps the vet gave the kids too much sedation?  I am sure they will feel much better tomorrow.

I have to say, having pygmy goats, I find it physically impossible to ring them within the 7 days of birth.......we do it as soon as possible, and have never had a problem with the goats being in pain etc.  I prefer the ring method to the surgical castration, but obviously in your case, you did not have ths option.

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2011, 05:59:54 am »
Goats are not good with anaesthetic, but sounds as if your Vet gave too much.... you were lucky the 2nd one is alive.  Gassing is much preferred with kids , ... many kids die from injection 'knock out'. The reason being, they go too deep and the heart stops.

I have surgical castration done, normally, when they are disbudded.  At least this way, you know everything is removed.... but your boys were a little older, I think.

Rubber ringing is excellent is you are sure.. absolutely certain !.. that both testicles are trapped.  It is possible to make a mistake with goats and you end up with an uncastrated male.

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2011, 08:19:20 am »
I am not good at doing the rubber ring method and took the decision to have my male kids and any future male kids done at the vet - the first time I was surprised to be in there (not like dropping the cat off) but I was pleasantly surprised at how well things went, the boys were dopey but not unconscious which the vet said was safer, one little cry but that was it considering what was going on - and tagged at the same time and although the vet is only 10mins from home, they were back to their usual selves once home. I consider myself very lucky to have a vet that I 100% trust with the goat.
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2011, 08:25:02 am »
That's a really reassuring post Brucklay, thank you  :)   As I have NO chance of hubby being part of castration of any method I need to feel OK with all of this and that has helped a lot. (hubby I should add will do all things that I need help with but when it comes to 'boy bits' he squirms!)
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2011, 08:44:07 am »
I'm not surprised - my OH will do most things but for both of us when it comes to things that cause pain we're completely useless. I have 3 boys to take next week and I hope it goes as well as last year - they are 10 weeks old the same as the boys last year and there's plenty to see, they're in good shape so I'm hoping for a good outcome and as someone else said then I know for sure they are done. They can then go to their new home in a couple of week once I am sure things have healed up ok.
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2011, 09:44:18 am »
Phew, that doesn't sound like much fun for anyone   :(

We had a 5 / 6 month lamb castrated - he was supposed to go in the freezer but I decided to keep him as a tup companion. We took him to the vet's in the back of the car, Dan held him on his back and the vet only used a local anaesthetic. It was over in minutes, vet went for a cup of tea and we brought Dickie home. In a few hours he was obviously uncomfortable, but by evening he was absolutely fine.

Hope Toby and Billy are all recovered now though. :goat: :goat:

NormandyMary

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2011, 05:08:16 pm »
Hi everyone. I'd love to say that the boys were back to normal, but unfortunately, its a bit too quiet in the goat house for my liking! To add insult to injury, Billy was limping this morning, a slight problem with his front left leg. Whether it was the trussing up that did it I dont know. Its not stopping him from getting around though, so Ill just keep my eye on him for a couple of days and see how things pan out.
They havent really made a sound today, they still seem to be a bit dopey, though perhaps its just because they are still a bit sore. Im impatient at the best of times, but I really just want  my cheeky little boys back!!! Their eyes look bright enough, and they are very alert, just not active.
I dont think Ive quite got over the shock yet either to be honest, we were supposed to do some more renovation work this afternoon, but we couldnt concentrate, so I told my hubby we'd have the afternoon off. We fell asleep in front of the telly. Our favourite programme NCIS was on too, so we must have been exhausted!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS