Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: crazy sheep  (Read 4340 times)

feldar

• Joined Apr 2011
  • lymington hampshire
crazy sheep
« on: May 11, 2011, 03:07:38 pm »
Did anyone see Adam Henson with his adorable Soay sheep on sun, the ewe was so protective of her lamb we were in stitches watching it. Reminded me of a Llanwenog ram lamb we had once that tried to kneecap us at every oppotunity used to beat the feed scoop right out your hand when you fed it! used to bring me out in a cold sweat when we had to deal with him, but he was funny
Finally the day came he had to go ,hubby went in the stable and there were bangs, clashes, swearing and cussing and we got him in the horse box (you could use them in those days before the EU regs got so tight) we shut up the tail board only to see him jump clean over the top!!
we had to catch him and go through the whole process again this time with a sheep hurdle tied over the gap
Never been so glad to see the back of a ram as i was this one. God help whoever bought him

OldGaffer

• Joined May 2011
  • Cambridgeshire
Re: crazy sheep
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2011, 05:25:12 pm »
Yes, we also saw the episode with the Soay sheep - very amusing.

Err, what is wrong with using a horse box to move a sheep? Surely if the box is the type of box that fully encloses the animal and there is plenty of straw bedding then that is OK. Obviously suitable for a horse, why not a sheep?

robert waddell

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2011, 05:33:25 pm »
it does not have the gates at the side of the ramp (i think it is to prevent escapes)

OldGaffer

• Joined May 2011
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2011, 05:35:03 pm »
I see, that makes sense. Thanks  :)

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2011, 07:03:03 pm »
Oh good grief, that's regulations gone   ::) Presumably you can use a horsebox if you put temporary hurdles down the side of the ramp.......  :P

robert waddell

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2011, 07:05:12 pm »
yes

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2011, 12:23:36 am »
There are also regs about the space each sheep has - neither too much nor too little, adequate ventilation and the angle of slope of the ramp. The trailer must also be hoseable so no wooden floors.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

feldar

• Joined Apr 2011
  • lymington hampshire
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2011, 08:58:02 am »
Yes I'm afraid these days if your moving animals to market you need a washable box, some horseboxes fit the bill, it depends on how strict your Trading Standards person is at market. They are strict in my area and quite rightly so, i saw one man turn up at Wilton sheep fair once with a tup in the back of his estate car!!

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2011, 11:50:12 am »
Going back to the original post, we keep Soays and Hebrideans, both of which are very protective of their young in the early days.  Most of the year all is sweetness and light between the sheep and our dogs, but at lambing time one of the dogs stays well clear (having learnt by experience), but the other is a simple little soul and he can't understand why he is forever being bowled over by his friends  ;D  All he wants is to meet the new lambs and say hello, but the dams will have none of it.  Once they get to the stage where the lambs go off in gangs then little Rip gets lots of new pals - they are bigger than him soon after they are born, even the Soays  :D
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2011, 02:28:13 pm »
Going back to the original post, we keep Soays and Hebrideans, both of which are very protective of their young in the early days.  Most of the year all is sweetness and light between the sheep and our dogs, but at lambing time one of the dogs stays well clear (having learnt by experience), but the other is a simple little soul and he can't understand why he is forever being bowled over by his friends  ;D 

Our Ryelands tolerate the dogs too - even some of them after they lamb, but Jura and Lyra (mother and daughter) chased our dogs this year. Really chased them - pursued them right out of the field.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS