Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: chickens eaten 1st year asparagus  (Read 2171 times)

oink

• Joined Feb 2009
chickens eaten 1st year asparagus
« on: May 11, 2011, 04:04:38 pm »
As the title says my chickens got into my newly planted asparagus bed and ate the tips of 3 and pretty much the whole of one.  They are 1 year old crowns that I planted this year and I've heard that on no account can you pick them this year as they need the strength to grow next year.  Do you think they've had it? 

Luckily they didn't touch the other 8 plants but it really will be a pain if I have to fill in the gaps next year as I've also heard the roots of the survivors can't be disturbed.

Any suggestions other than eating all my chickens out of spite ;)

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
Re: chickens eaten 1st year asparagus
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2011, 04:17:07 pm »
I don't know about asparagus but I think they may survive. If i have anything that is precious I make a cage to go over it to keep chickens, pigeons, rabbits etc away.
A few lengths of 2x1 and some old weldmesh and jobs done.

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2011, 09:20:34 am »
I planted 2 new 1 year crowns this year and the cats knocked off the single spear of one of them ::)  It seems to be trying a second spear which I've netted around to try and help it survive ::)  The other one still has just the one original spear but it's turned frondy now so is less easily damaged by the cat traffic ::)

So hopefully your damaged crown will try again if you can keep it safe this time..
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

BlueDaisy

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Grow your own - veg and chooks!
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2011, 11:32:24 pm »
I would expect it to be okay but you don't want the naughty chickens getting in for second helpings!! ;D
We planted asparagus last year and I don't think any of the crowns only sent up one spear, but the spears do all come at different times, so hopefully  another spear will be along soon on the damaged plants to set your mind at rest ;)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS