Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Price of pig feed?  (Read 8317 times)

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
Price of pig feed?
« on: May 11, 2011, 08:24:32 am »
I had heard that pig feed costs had gone up a lot from last year.  i bought my first feed bags and thought 'hang on, that's the same price as last year'.  Then I went to a different supplier and sure enough, the feed was up about 30%, so went back to original place and bought some more.  Then I realised that instead of 25kg bags they were only 20kg!

I am paying 7.40 per 20kg - so what are you paying?  Am I being ripped off? :-\

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
Re: Price of pig feed?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2011, 08:28:37 am »
no thats a reasonable price. our feed has just gone up again. every bag has gone up £1.50 this year.

HappyHippy

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2011, 09:02:28 am »
I'm paying about £7 per 20Kg bag of 'nuts' and the 'rolls' are about £7.70 - though they do seem to be a different price every time  ::) Over the last year they have ranged from £6.95 to £8.20 a bag  :o It's Farmgate feeds I use.
HTH
Karen x

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2011, 09:06:00 am »
Paid £309 per tonne which is 40 x 25kg bags from local feed merchant which works out at about £7.72/bag. delivered.
Feed has gone thro the roof i used to complain when it was £240 tonne!! ::) heaven knows where it will end with all these yuppy types in the city gambling on wheat futures etc (countryfile last Sunday!)
Mandy  :pig:

Eastling

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2011, 09:16:22 am »
Have just paid £20.30 for two bags from Scatts until i can get to our usual supplier. Do you feed GM free foods?
Labradors leave foot prints on your heart as well as your clothes

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2011, 09:19:59 am »
I was paying 4.90 for 25 kilos, now paying 9.70 for same.  Others in Brittany varying from 7.90 to over 10 euros for 25 k.  Terrifying.

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2011, 09:52:33 am »
Eastling
Have not been able to find a non-organic natural feed that does not contain GM soya. I will not and cannot afford to go organic. So i find the most natural ingrecients i can (no drugs, no commercial factory by products etc)and have to bite the bullet on the soya. The trouble is the worlds regular soya is going to be all GM in the not too distant future and there won't be any choice other than it or organic.

Eastling

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2011, 12:59:46 pm »
 Hi Fogwill Farm
The feed from Scatts is supposed to be GM free. I have been buying from Grain harvester which does include GM soya beans, it doesn't say it contains antib's or other nasties. We cannot afford organic food either, but were a little concerned re GM soya. so they is little choice it seems unless you go organic.
Labradors leave foot prints on your heart as well as your clothes

waterboy

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2011, 08:21:17 pm »
Hi all,

Ive been quite lucky as Ive been buying feed off a chap up the road from me who keeps 80+ pigs so buys feed by the pallet load as it worked out cheaper, he has recently switched to loose feed blown in from a wagon and was amazed at how much cheaper it was and with very little work he has made his own feed store. I don't know what the minimum orders are but if you are keeping lots of pigs it might be worth looking into?

Rob
Rob & Manda :)

benkt

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Cambridgeshire
    • Hempsals Community Farm
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2011, 09:44:47 pm »
I was paying £7.90 for 20kgs but managed to get my local place to order a ton for me (of a slightly cheaper brand) which with their bulk discount came in at £6.20 for 20kgs. Took a couple of trips to get it all back to mine and I can hardly get in to the feed shed any more but the saving is well worth it.

Tudful Tamworths

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Liz's website
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2011, 10:17:08 pm »
Mine (BOCM) has gone up from £269 to £290 a tonne in the past month. I also buy Haygates nuts from a local feed merchant by the bag when I need it (for weaners) at £6.95 a bag. Says he can do it for £305 a tonne, so not a lot of difference from what I'm paying for BOCM.
All the pigs LOVE the Haygates food (they do sow rolls as well as nuts), and it's handy if I need to fatten quickly or put condition on a recently-weaned sow. However, I'm reluctant to switch completely because the feed comes in paper bags and they don't take much time to soak through and the food gets mouldy. If they would switch to plastic, I'd swap straightway.
I wish I had the facilities to have it blown in, but I don't.
www.lizshankland.com www.biggingerpigs.com
Author of the Haynes Pig Manual, Haynes Smallholding Manual, and the Haynes Sheep Manual. Three times winner of the Tamworth Champion of Champions. Teaching smallholding courses at Kate Humble's farm: www.humblebynature.com

lill

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2011, 07:30:36 am »
I am paying £298.00 per ton for sow rolls that equals £7.32p per bag. I get my pig feed in plastic bags which goes straight into wheelie bins.

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2011, 09:46:49 am »
Blown in is always a lot cheaper but the minimum amount round here is 4 tonne and even my hungry monsters won't eat that quick enough!!!
I'm using a tonne roughly evry 45 days at present stocking levels but this goes up or down depending on visiting sows & fatteners kept.

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2011, 10:43:32 pm »
Little update on this as I saw another thread today on the same subject - my feed has now gone up to 7.99 per 20kg bag!  Different price each time it comes in!  Will have to find somebody with space for storage and buy in bulk I think - it's killing me financially!

oink

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2011, 09:16:02 am »
After two years of travelling 30 minutes to buy expensive feed I've just find out that a farm in the next village also has a shop and they sell 20kg for £6.20.  It's also nicer giving my money to someone who I feel deserves it rather than a chain.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS