Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Ear Tags and slaughter tags  (Read 9784 times)

andywalt

• Joined Aug 2010
  • kent
  • observe react administer enjoy !!
    • photos
Ear Tags and slaughter tags
« on: May 10, 2011, 09:15:32 pm »
Hi Guys

I will very soon be getting my first ear tags, i will have 12 lambs for slaughter and 8 ewe lambs for keeping for the flock, can you tell me can I purchase slaughter ear tags seperate from the aid tags? or do they all have to be one set of tags all consequentual?  what I would like to do is use a differant colour slaughter tag for I can easily spot them?  how do you manage your tags?
Suffolk x romneys and Texel X with Romney Tup, Shetlands and Southdown Tup

Re: Ear Tags and slaughter tags
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2011, 09:49:05 pm »
Hi,

Ten Qwik slaughter tags will set you back £1.20 and come in a variety of colours. They can be bought on their own and use the same pliers as the Qwik EID + Match up tag pairs.

Thanks
www.suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk - Safe Secure shopping for all your livestock equipment and supplies.
Also www.suppliesforfarmers.co.uk for more larger farm related items

ClaireF

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2011, 09:54:48 pm »
Hi,
The slaughter tags only have your herd number on them and so do not have individual numbers unlike the tags you will need to put in your ewe lambs. They, like all the EID tags are meant to be yellow but I don't think that's the law. Your non-EID tags for the ewe lambs can be any colour though, so you should be able to identify them as the ewe lambs will have 2 tags and the ones for slaughter 1 tag. You need to record the ewe lambs numbers in your movement book too.
I use the shearwell data tags for the ewe lambs as they are qite streamlined and less likely to get ripped out I find.
Hope that helps,
Claire

andywalt

• Joined Aug 2010
  • kent
    • photos
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2011, 09:59:24 pm »
thanks thta makes it more understandable cheers

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2011, 10:04:44 pm »
For England Yellow is reserved for EID Tags Only.

Thanks
www.suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk - Safe Secure shopping for all your livestock equipment and supplies.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2011, 12:49:11 am »
I think red is a reserved colour too, isn't it?  Though I can't remember for what... And isn't there another colour that means 'the electronic tag for this animal is a bolus'?  I'd have looked it up but my blood pressure won't take it...  One day I will have a chat with you all about the complete pants that is sheep EID.  But not today.  Today has been a lovely day and I don't want to spoil it!
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2011, 08:25:15 am »
Red is for replacement tags, I think.

I've just had a fun time with mine. I use Ketchum, who were brilliant. I needed 5 slaughter tags for the five tup lambs plus 4 sets of the ewe lambs I'm keeping. That was easy. Then I decided to get tags for all the sheep that have lost theirs - my three original ewes who only had one and have lost them, my tup and a 2009 ewe who are both down to one each and the two 2010 gimmers that I bought in with their EID tags in and their management tags in a bag (I don't have an applicator for them).

I had to look back flock numbers, ear numbers, choose colours. Ma heid was nippin'. The information is now on their registration papers. Anyway, got them now but I'm not putting them in yet. I'll put them in individual bags with their names on and put them in when I have to - save all this again  ::)

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2011, 10:07:13 am »
Yes Red is for Replacement tags and Black is for Bolus

Thanks

andywalt

• Joined Aug 2010
  • kent
    • photos
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2011, 07:15:30 pm »
Well I will get there shearing done and dusted then i will sort out the ear tags and get them from sfs  ;D ;D

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
    • Viable Self Sufficiency.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2011, 07:40:22 pm »
Yellow is reserved for eid tags in England and Wales. In Scotland, you can use any colour for eid tags, but it is recommended that you use yellow.

Red is reserved for replacement tags where than animal whose tag needs replacing is not on the holding of birth.

Black is reserved for the visual tag on an animal whose electronic id is in the form of a ruminal bolus rather than an ear tag.

Slaughter tags must not have individual numbers on them - only the UK flock number.

::)
The SHEEP Book for Smallholders
Available from the Good Life Press

www.viableselfsufficiency.co.uk

NLL

• Joined Apr 2010
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2011, 09:39:41 pm »
I,ve just ordered from supplies for smallholders.please check to see if i have done it correctly.One question, I could only get my flock number and individual number upto 9 then there was no more space.What happens if I have 10 of one variety of sheep.

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
    • Viable Self Sufficiency.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2011, 09:54:47 am »
Tags will have space for your UK flock number which will be something like UK 0 123456 and they must all have a five digit individual number (ie 00011). All tags will have space for these as this is the statutory minimum.
The SHEEP Book for Smallholders
Available from the Good Life Press

www.viableselfsufficiency.co.uk

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2011, 11:20:12 am »
I,ve just ordered from supplies for smallholders.please check to see if i have done it correctly.One question, I could only get my flock number and individual number upto 9 then there was no more space.What happens if I have 10 of one variety of sheep.

Just sent you an email

goodlifer

• Joined May 2011
  • todmorden, lancs
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2011, 12:24:23 pm »
Just tagged all our lambs, we were pretty nervous being our first time but we managed to avoid the veins as instructed and get them in the right ears so we are now feeling pretty chuffed with ourselves.
I do love a successful sheparding task  :sheep: :love:

PDO_Lamb

• Joined May 2011
    • Briggs' Shetland Lamb
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2011, 08:21:27 am »
I tried both slaughter tags and numbered pairs last year. Saved a few pence but then wished I could use the number within the slaughter tag to identify who a lamb's mum was. You can buy alot of numbered pairs for the price of an eid reader so this year I bought only pairs and this week I ordered 20 pairs on line from Tag Faster (www.roxan.co.uk). The pack of tags dropped through my letterbox less than 48hrs after placing the order.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS