Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Fencing  (Read 3844 times)

alfie

• Joined Apr 2011
  • LANCASHIRE
    • Home Safari
Fencing
« on: May 09, 2011, 07:26:44 pm »
I will be looking to have approx 1 acre fenced in the next 6 weeks or so, does anyone no off any contractors in the west lancs merseyside , and general cost per meter for stock fencing.

Dan

• The Accidental Smallholder
  • Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • The Accidental Smallholder
    • Facebook
Re: Fencing
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2011, 10:04:07 pm »
We bought a load of stock netting recently on eBay, and when I was searching on there I noticed some people selling installation.

Looks like £5-6 per metre plus VAT is the going rate on there.

Some links that might useful:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/LIVE-STOCK-FENCING-1-00-per-metre-/150599384396?pt=UK_BOI_FarmingEquipment_RL&hash=item23106c3d4c
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/STOCK-LIVESTOCK-FENCING-MACHINED-FITTED-5-PER-M-VAT-/330561792055

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2011, 10:18:02 pm »
i clearly need to learn to do stock fencing  :)

do loads of domestic fencing etc, think i might have to trade a days labour with someone who knows what there doing with stock fencing as theres clearly a market out there for it...

hmmm thinking cap is well and truely on!!!

robert waddell

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2011, 09:16:05 am »
hello bloomer     all i can say is good luck if you venture into stock fencing    you will need it
these prices are including the materials your time running costs(tractor post chapper and vehicle) and possibly one or two workers to get your daily meterage up to a profitable level
that is one reason why fencing contractors are in short supply?         i have done my own fencing for the last 30yrs it is expensive but so satisfying  and easy to do(like every thing in life once you know what to do)           :farmer:

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2011, 04:26:14 pm »
I live in leafy warwickshire where there are lots of cash rich time short potential clients!!! I already do post and rail for the occasional client but have never done stock fencing so should probably learn sometime!!!

And if ever i actually manage to get the land I want somewhere its a useful skill to have!!!

Llandovery Lass

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2011, 05:53:02 pm »
My OH and I have just fenced off part of a field for the orchard and chickens. You need one of those very heavy post knockers and the strength to lift it and drop it on the post in the hope it will go into the ground, a spike hole with an iron bar helps, as does some rain. Then you need an odd tool called a tensioner, after fixing the wire to the first post with staples and sore thumbs you then get some convenient person to tension the wire to the next post and attach with staples. I do understand that you can get a handy fence strecher which tensions all the wires at the same time accross a large number of posts but we like it hard. Anyway we did it and it does not look too bad, you need bigger stakes and stretchers on the corners and possibly on the long runs if it is quite long.

alfie

• Joined Apr 2011
  • LANCASHIRE
    • Home Safari
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2011, 07:14:20 pm »
My problem is i know how to do it and plenty of experience of all types of fencing but the small holding has one draw back I still have to work ??? not full time but enough to make the fencing into a long job so all things taken into account and wanting to get started with stock quickly we will have to bite the bullet and get some one into do it

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS