Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Badger!!!  (Read 4580 times)

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Badger!!!
« on: May 09, 2011, 12:56:25 pm »
Have just done an inspection and found unmistakable scratch marks on one of my (PS) hives - badger trying to get in! Has anyone got any good (legal) way of dealing with this, I guess he will try again... I found the hole in the fence (it's just normal sheep netting) where he has managed to go under can put a piece of wood there, but I see a badger almost any night when I am out after dark....

Will they not go up? My hives sit quite low down on railway sleepers (but if need be  can increase height, otherwise lifting the supers becomes impossible at the end of summer.

Other than that - bees have been busy, they need another super!

OldGaffer

• Joined May 2011
  • Cambridgeshire
Re: Badger!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2011, 04:39:08 pm »
I have read that badgers also dig up wasp nests, so they are a force for good when there are wasp near your apairy  :)

Raising the hives I am sure would help, provided the stand is stable, in caser a badger trys to put weight on it.

I think good fencing is the answer, I would go for an approach that would protect the hive(s) against woodpeckers in Winter as well if possible. My approach would be to try four posts at say 1m from the hive and then secure steel mesh to the posts in such away that the mesh can be removed easily for hive inspections. Would probably need to move the hive off a short distance temporarily, before driving posts in to the ground, as bees do not like too much vibration.

In Winter, you would also need a mesh lid as well, to keep the Woodpecker away from your hive.

starcana

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2011, 04:55:21 pm »
I'm sorry if I'm stating the obvious as I'm very new to beekeeping. We too have badgers everywhere (rural Cornwall) and I was advised to use one of those straps with the metal ratchet ends on my WBC hives,to keep the roof on securely and prevent a badger lifting it off. Does this help?

OldGaffer

• Joined May 2011
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2011, 08:26:32 am »
A webbing strap is a good idea, in fact I use one on a hive in my out apairy that is in a very windy spot. The problem with webbing straps is they are only as good as your ground stake, so these need to be strong and driven well in to the ground. I have found some webbing straps age rapidly in the sun and rain, mine need replacing after a year if not sooner.

Of course the hive would still be exposed to the badgers with the approach and they have very powerful claws, so the hive may still suffer damage.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2011, 09:30:53 pm »
I have a home-apiary, and use stones on the roof, I find the straps (which I have used in the past for transport) too fidgety to un-do and re-do all the time. Also badger could (at this time of year) easily knock over the whole hive and the mess inside would probably make bees swarming anyway?

We now have blocked the hole the bagder had created under the fence with heavy wood and stones, as it is on the boundary fence there is not much else I can do. I also walk the dog past most mornings, and encourage her to leave her "territorial perfume" nearby, not sure it helps with badgers....

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2011, 10:48:12 pm »
How about some electric wire or netting fence with an old car battery and small energiser.  I bit of an expense I know but not much keeps badgers out if they are determined, but I am pretty certain electric fencing would, and to loose the bees and honey plus getting the hive damaged would be a serious loss at this time of year.  You might be able to get something second hand off fleabay or preloved

All the best
Sue
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

Plantoid

• Joined May 2011
  • Yorkshireman on a hill in wet South Wales
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2011, 11:19:23 pm »
How about some electric wire or netting fence with an old car battery and small energiser.  I bit of an expense I know but not much keeps badgers out if they are determined, but I am pretty certain electric fencing would, and to loose the bees and honey plus getting the hive damaged would be a serious loss at this time of year.  You might be able to get something second hand off fleabay or preloved

All the best
Sue

Dont put that electric fence too close to the hives either for the generated electromagnetic pulse that occurs with each kick of high voltage low current electricity can set the bees to go wild. You don't want to be anywhere near if they do as you'll as like as not be the subject target for hundreds and hundreds of very peed off angry bees intent on getting you.  The  same occurs of you use and electric or engine power strimmer  they go for the motorhousing  and the magnetic pulse of the spark plug cover .
International playboy & liar .
Man of the world not a country

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2011, 11:55:35 pm »

All the best
Sue

Dont put that electric fence too close to the hives either for the generated electromagnetic pulse that occurs with each kick of high voltage low current electricity can set the bees to go wild. You don't want to be anywhere near if they do as you'll as like as not be the subject target for hundreds and hundreds of very peed off angry bees intent on getting you.  The  same occurs of you use and electric or engine power strimmer  they go for the motorhousing  and the magnetic pulse of the spark plug cover .

That's interesting - how close is too close?  I have some poultry netting quite close to an old hive, which has now got a swarm settled in it.  Although I don't go to that corner of the enclosure too often, shortly I am intending to sort out the fencing and put on a stronger energizer.

All the best
Sue
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS