Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Natural beekeeping in Scotland  (Read 14375 times)

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
Re: Natural beekeeping in Scotland
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2013, 06:15:48 pm »
So, "natural" beekeeping focuses on the health of the bees. Surely that is what us "normal" beekeepers do, or we wouldn't have any bees!

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
Re: Natural beekeeping in Scotland
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2013, 10:04:54 pm »
There is an old saying that there was honey in the hive in spite of the beekeepers actions.

What is natural to one person is abhorrent to another.

I often fed some hives 1/1 syrup & Thymol  all year round if I thought they needed food. occasionally I also fed pea flour & pollen if things were late in producing the pollen needed for then bee bread.

Now was that being natural looking after the bees needs & health or was it artificial ?
Some hives gave " electric honey "  ( heavily fed on 1/1 with Thymol ) they converted it or used it and stored real natural honey or regurgitated it as honey into part filled cells .
 This honey was sold in 45 gallon barrels to the likes of Nestle for a premium UK produced honey band it passed all their stringent tests every time .

Was this unnatural or taking simply advantage of the stingy little buggers cute habit of scoffing sweet things and puking it back in a converted form that humans like to eat??? .
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS