Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Thanking helpful members (was: Forum karma)  (Read 34799 times)

Cinderhills

• Joined Jul 2010
  • North Yorkshire
Re: Thanking helpful members (was: Forum karma)
« Reply #45 on: May 13, 2011, 07:25:53 am »
McR - you have hit the nail on the head and put that beautifully.  :)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #46 on: May 13, 2011, 10:07:12 am »
I'm really shocked to think that people might be put off from joining or posting because they think the "hub" is in Scotland. Yes a lot of members are Scottish- but not everyone! I have been using forums since 2002, and I have to say this is one of the best and friendliest forum's I have ever come across. I have seen the Karma/Thanks thing before, and to be honest on that forum it didn't work because people abused it and thought it was funny to do that- but I know that wouldn't happen here.

Beth
So am I, Beth.  I think this is a great forum and I've made lots of friends through it - including you, Ally and your Mum, and also others outwith Scotland.  I've seen the Karma thing on other forums too and it didn't work there either.  But I've given you a thank you for this posting as it's exactly how I feel.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Forum karma
« Reply #47 on: May 13, 2011, 11:12:21 am »
There is a new version of the forum software coming this month that has been in development for 3 years and has lots of extra features. Once it's out I'll be working on joining it up to the new website, then we'll have a sound platform to build lots more community stuff. Can't say much more yet, but we'll be looking for testers this summer

Volunteer tester here!
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Dan

• The Accidental Smallholder
  • Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • Facebook
Re: Forum karma
« Reply #48 on: May 13, 2011, 01:23:32 pm »
There is a new version of the forum software coming this month that has been in development for 3 years and has lots of extra features. Once it's out I'll be working on joining it up to the new website, then we'll have a sound platform to build lots more community stuff. Can't say much more yet, but we'll be looking for testers this summer

Volunteer tester here!

Great, thanks, have added you to the list.

Sudanpan

• Joined Jan 2009
  • West Cornwall
    • Movement is Life
« Reply #49 on: May 13, 2011, 02:15:06 pm »

Volunteer tester here!

Great, thanks, have added you to the list.

Me too  ;D

Also it never even occurred to me to think that the forum might be geared towards the scottish contingent - as far as I was concerned there was a wonderful set of individuals who had decided to administrate a HUGELY helpful forum from which I have gleaned so much help and advice that I felt much more able to put my toes into the water regarding smallholding/livestock/rural living
And I'm LOVING it  ;D ;D ;D

Dan

• Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • Facebook
« Reply #50 on: May 13, 2011, 02:22:39 pm »
Me too  ;D

Thank you!

Anyone else interested please don't post here, but see this thread: http://www.accidentalsmallholder.net/forum/index.php?topic=15196.0

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #51 on: May 13, 2011, 06:07:12 pm »
I use/visit several sites intermittently this is the only one I am loyal to, due to all of the people who make up the site and to Rosemary and Dan for making it such a great one. 

Tudful Tamworths

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Liz's website
« Reply #52 on: May 14, 2011, 12:07:26 am »
At the risk of sounding a complete simpleton, I only recently noticed there were quite a few Scottish forumers! I honestly hadn't considered where the site was run from, and certainly never thought of it as being biased towards one end of the UK or another.

Maybe I'm naive, but when I discovered this website a few years back (I think via www.acountrylife.co.uk) I decided to visit on a regular basis because I found it friendly, welcoming, and a good place to ask questions and get a quick response - or, in some cases, simply to share some dreadful experiences and receive some advice and sympathy when no-one else was around to give it.

Dan, I think you're doing a cracking job, and if the River Cottage website had moderators like you it would be a thousand times better than it is at present. Keep up the good work.
www.lizshankland.com www.biggingerpigs.com
Author of the Haynes Pig Manual, Haynes Smallholding Manual, and the Haynes Sheep Manual. Three times winner of the Tamworth Champion of Champions. Teaching smallholding courses at Kate Humble's farm: www.humblebynature.com

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #53 on: May 14, 2011, 08:47:59 am »
Dan, Just a thought. I used to use another forum where you could assign stars to threads (i.e. not individual posts). This was a much busier forum than TAS, so it really helped the really good threads to rise to the top of a search etc.

Don't know if the TAS forum software will allow it, but if so, it could be worth a try.
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #54 on: May 14, 2011, 10:59:50 am »
Good idea womble.

Instead of 'thanks' against a user name - which doesn't really mean anything - an option to add a 'helpful' mark (e.g. 'thumbs up' icon) against a reply would be better. I like the idea of a good helpful post going to the top of a search rather than something, say, by date, or which may wander off topic......

:wave:

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #55 on: May 14, 2011, 11:50:48 am »
This forum is certainly great! So helpful and friendly  ;D

Not sure about the 'helpfulness' rating on posts. I'm guessing people always reply intending to be helpful and what's incredibly useful to a beginner in a particular area might be less so to the more experienced?

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #56 on: May 14, 2011, 12:39:38 pm »
Not sure about the 'helpfulness' rating on posts. I'm guessing people always reply intending to be helpful and what's incredibly useful to a beginner in a particular area might be less so to the more experienced?

Yes if the reply is on topic, but, sometimes replies wander off topic - if someone needs help fast finding an answer to a problem it's better they find a post with good replies to the question, rather than one that wandered off topic (for example, with 'hello's' or replies not related to subject etc).

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #57 on: May 31, 2011, 11:42:17 am »
So have we now decided not to have the 'thanks' option?  I was just getting the hang of it  ::) :D
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #58 on: May 31, 2011, 02:24:09 pm »
So have we now decided not to have the 'thanks' option?  I was just getting the hang of it  ::) :D

You certainly were - none of us could catch you!   ;D ;D
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #59 on: May 31, 2011, 02:51:17 pm »
 :-[ :-[ :-[  It was a bit of an embarrassment..........  Back to my little gold star  :D
« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 02:53:11 pm by Fleecewife »
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS