Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pig arc - floor or no floor?  (Read 5470 times)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Pig arc - floor or no floor?
« on: May 09, 2011, 12:57:49 am »
We've got the (used) arc home at last, and hammerited it.  It looks great!

I have two questions. 

1.  It is very large and initially will house just one pig and eventually her litter.  I was told that if the sleeping quarters are over-sized then the pig(s) will poo and pee in there.  Is this right?  Should I try to make some sort of partition to make just the far end a 'bedroom'?

2.  Our ground is wet and it rains a lot in Cumbria.  The arc has no floor.  Will I need to put some sort of floor in to stop the ground wetness coming up into the bedding, or will it stay dry enough because the roof keeps the rain off?  If it needs a floor, what it is best to use?  I assume wood, but what type and thickness do people recommend?  And, if I am making a 'bedroom' at one end, am I best to floor only that part?  BH reckons if we put the arc on top of the wood the weight of the arc will stop the pigs' rootling being able to dislodge the floor but I am not sure I am convinced it won't move in any direction...

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

The Woodsiders

• Joined Aug 2011
  • Near Horley in Surrey
Re: Pig arc - floor or no floor?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2011, 07:20:47 am »
Morning Sally

How big is the Arc? we use 1" x 6" boards mounted on 4" x "2" runners, you can get the boards (normally called Gravel Boards) from most fencing suppliers,

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2011, 08:08:11 am »
Sally,

Yes if large enough the pig is likely to pee/poo, esp if raining, as they get up walk away from bed, and then go to the loo.

But for an adult sow you would need a very large ark for this to happen - what size and type is it?

For people buying a few weaners, we recommend putting some straw bales (uncut) in to reduce size in the early days.

On floors, you are looking at both wet and cold, so ground temperature as well as whether the ground will get soggy needs to be considered.  as you are planning to have litters using this ark, i would strongly recommend a floor - and as Markcott recommends 6*1 are good.  It is easier to install in a competed ark.   Plywood can easily become slippery, and you will not want mum slipping and falling on piglets.

« Last Edit: May 09, 2011, 08:10:07 am by oaklandspigs »
www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

HappyHippy

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2011, 09:32:57 am »
I use old palletts with a couple of sheets of 18mm thick OSB (not pigs, the wood stuff ;)) screwed to it. Once I have it assembled OH trims it down with the chainsaw (though I suspect you could do it with a smaller saw  ::) ;D) it fits really snugly inside the arc - important you don't have gaps that piglets could get trapped in, especially if farrowing outside.
I've never had a problem with pigs fouling their bed in arcs, maybe's I'm just lucky ?
Karen x

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2011, 08:36:11 pm »
Cow mats or similar would do the trick.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2011, 04:42:23 pm »
Thanks all for replies so far.

Have measured arc, it is 9'4" long and 7'7" wide at ground level.  Standard semi-circular design.  Very very solid, iron frame, tin roof.  (Have hammerited the roof dark green but really do not think overheating is likely to be a problem in these parts - sadly!)

Do folk think that if I made a platform of the wood or OSB (very appropriate) you suggest and stood the arc on it, that the pig(s) won't just shove it around and I'll end up with the arc and floor offset?

If the concensus is that the 'bedroom' area should be less than the whole area, do I floor the whole thing or just the bedroom?  If the latter, what stops the pigs digging underneath the bedroom floor?

Those who have talked about fitted floors - please can you describe specifically (for a numpty) how the floor is fitted?

Thanks!
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2011, 08:12:52 am »
Do folk think that if I made a platform of the wood or OSB (very appropriate) you suggest and stood the arc on it, that the pig(s) won't just shove it around and I'll end up with the arc and floor offset?
Yes an adult sow will, and with ease.  If you build a base first, then you'll need to secure the ark to it, and not just a couple of screws!  
As this is a commercial ark with a metal frame, then build the base slightly larger than the ark (only by an inch or so), and then drill four holes per long side (8 in all), and preferably bolt it to the base, but you might get away with long screws.  Make sure you put a hole each side of the entrance, as that’s where they’ll rub and dislodge it.  
If the concensus is that the 'bedroom' area should be less than the whole area, do I floor the whole thing or just the bedroom?  If the latter, what stops the pigs digging underneath the bedroom floor?

No fit a floor to the whole ark.
Those who have talked about fitted floors - please can you describe specifically (for a numpty) how the floor is fitted?
On our commercial arks, we used 5 4*2 tanalised beams to create the platform - in you case each one say 8' long. space these |   |   |  |  |  with one at each end on the short sides, one in the middle, and then the final two half way between.  The 6*1 planks are then screwed to this base, so you'll need enough to cover  8’ so would suggest you  buy 16  say 9’6 long 6*1.
www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS