Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Making your own feed?  (Read 6894 times)

princesspiggy

Re: Making your own feed?
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2011, 02:42:25 pm »
by weight or volume?

arusse23

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2011, 04:10:47 pm »
I dont catch your drift? I was meaning as a general mix, is that a good start?

Tudful Tamworths

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Liz's website
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2011, 12:07:56 am »
You need to be adding vitamins and minerals.
www.lizshankland.com www.biggingerpigs.com
Author of the Haynes Pig Manual, Haynes Smallholding Manual, and the Haynes Sheep Manual. Three times winner of the Tamworth Champion of Champions. Teaching smallholding courses at Kate Humble's farm: www.humblebynature.com

arusse23

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2011, 03:14:09 pm »
Whats the best way to add vitamins and minerals?

princesspiggy

« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2011, 06:12:53 pm »
what are your thoughts on a grower diet for GOS of 40% bruised barley 40% bruised oats and 20% soya bean meal?

i meant 40% by volume or weight? a scoop of ground barley would weigh differently to a scoop of whole oats. for example.
you would have to find how much salts and vitamins etc pigs would need, bearing in mind that they can get salt poisoning as they cant sweat. Vitamins ADEK are fat soluble so would b in good quality oil. Seaweed has (i think) vit b? so has marmite etc. vitamins in veg depend on the age of the veg.
if they are free ranging im sure they can supplement their diet to a degree, tho that would be dependant on whats available to them and condition of ground.
the risk you take with mixing your own grains is not getting the protein levels right, which could mean your meat is too fatty etc.
there are books written on this subject im sure. try researching some feed companies and working from there.
 :wave:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS