Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Using Barley for feeding poultry  (Read 4052 times)

WaltDisneyWorld

• Joined Apr 2011
Using Barley for feeding poultry
« on: May 08, 2011, 12:48:23 pm »
I am thinking of mixing up my own poultry feed by using wheat, barley and maize grits. However I understand that barley should be rolled. I am considering purchasing a small grinding mill and wondered if by grinding the barley would this make it as suitable?

princesspiggy

Re: Using Barley for feeding poultry
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2011, 01:24:16 pm »
we ground our own barley with a mill from ascott supplies for chooks and pigs. it was really good but i suspect alot is wasting in dust (coated the entire garage) and wind blew a bit away. plus we seemed to be feeding alot of pheasants too.
then the barley price went thru the roof so was cheaper to feed layers and rolls. and less wastage too.

WaltDisneyWorld

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2011, 01:36:43 pm »
Thank you for your reply. I was thinking of purchasing the mill from Ascott Smallholding Suppliers. Along time ago we had an old heavy duty mill that my father used to use and it was just so messy with dust everywhere that we bought layer pellets and wheat. Now with prices ever increasing and the opportunity to buy barley from a local farmer I was thinking of buying a new mill and having a go at producing our own feed again. However your comment of dust everywhere has made me think again. I wonder if anyone could recommend a mill that can contain the dust reasonably efficiently?

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2011, 02:38:49 pm »
I tried feeding mine barley, they didn't like it. so back to wheat.  :&>

robert waddell

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2011, 03:43:38 pm »
now shot me down if you want but why are you giong to grind the grain for poultry             is that not the point of there gizzard :chook: :wave: :chook:

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2011, 04:14:31 pm »
well, I didn't  ;D  maybe that's why they didn't like it?  :&>

WaltDisneyWorld

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2011, 05:03:16 pm »
I thought you could not feed barley in grain form because of the hair from the grain getting lodged in their crop. If this is not the case then it would save me the trouble, your comments would be most welcome.

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2011, 05:22:34 pm »
it just didn't occur to me - none of my birds had any trouble but - once the novelty went off they preferred old-fashioned wheat. Maybe someone else knows about this? :chook: :&>

robert waddell

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2011, 07:00:55 pm »
going back to college days the grains were explained this way         wheat is totally naked          barley has its under garments on     and oats are fully clothed                 barley should have the awnings removed in the thrashing process and subsequent cleaning :farmer: :wave:

princesspiggy

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2011, 09:13:51 pm »
the mill i bought was quite good but the bit that stopped the dust escaping broke the first day. the chaff cutter ( main reason i chose it) never worked, just jammed every single time, but i was pleased with it. it made flour too, but still let some whole grains through, which would come out in their poo. plus cos the feed wasnt "complete" id feed a bit more (guilt!!) so no money was saved.
if u can get cheap barley great, but barley went up 40% here, so im sure feeding proper pellets saved me money.
i didnt think u cud feed whole barley to poultry either, and i dont what much about poultry taste buds (or labradors either..lol), but i dont think they liked the whole barley so much.
 :wave: :wave:
the mill was really noisy too, toddlers run for cover very swiftly!! plus u save money on make-up. no need to apply any foundation after grinding barley ..lol  :wave:

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2011, 09:28:58 pm »
same price as wheat here, £4.50 a bag from the farm, last year it was a third cheaper than wheat :&>

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS