Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: How long do we bottle feed lambs  (Read 22139 times)

marie

• Joined Apr 2011
How long do we bottle feed lambs
« on: May 08, 2011, 11:17:56 am »
I have tried to look this up and am getting different times. The lamb was born last tuesday 3rd May. On some sights I read they can be introduced to mushy food by the time they are a week old and then by 2 weeks they can be intergarted back with the rest of the sheep. But would it still need milk at some time through the day? He's a Soay.

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
Re: How long do we bottle feed lambs
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2011, 12:42:56 pm »
If you are useing a powderded lamb milk then full insructions should be on the bag. if not then give it access to water/ pellets/hay, once it will come when called then it can go out during daytime to graze and socalize .Feed milk for maybe 6wks or more depending on how its growing and how much dry feed /grass its eating. You can cut down the number of feeds per day as it gets older :farmer: :wave:

andywalt

• Joined Aug 2010
  • kent
  • observe react administer enjoy !!
    • photos
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2011, 01:00:21 pm »
one of our lambs was born and the mum had no milk, we have put them in the garden, its now 4 weeks old and we have now got it on 2 feeds aday, morning and evening 500mls each feed, ltr a day, its a small breed, shetland x southdown, I know you can feed up to 1.25 ltrs a day for a lamb, correct me if I am wrong anyone.... sunny (kids named it) is still with its mum, and its eating some grass and pellets, at about 6 weeks I hope to put it in the field with all the others and feed it once a day, should be able to call him and he comes running, but then after runs straight back to mum. unfortunatley OH and kids have said as its been named and bottle fed im not allowed to sell him to the freezer !!  ;D ;D ;D
Suffolk x romneys and Texel X with Romney Tup, Shetlands and Southdown Tup

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2011, 10:18:40 pm »
I have 3 on the bottle now.  The 8 week old is down to 2 bottles but should really be less now.  I think it is advisable to keep them on milk until at least 6-8 weeks as well as creep feed. I took a triplet off at 5-6 weeks as she could sneak a drink from her mum but by then they seem to mainly have grass unless want reassurance from mum.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS