Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Poorly or not poorly?  (Read 2414 times)

egbert

• Joined Jan 2010
Poorly or not poorly?
« on: May 07, 2011, 11:57:31 pm »
Just a bit of advice really please

My ex-bat is coming up to 3 years old - in the last week or 2 she has had a very dirty bum, possibly has stopped laying (its hard to know which one is laying) but she is running about with the others quite happily, grabs the food and doesnt let anyone boss her about. She doesn't act ill, but her bottom area is constantly dirty and starting to look a bit bald, although that could just be cos the feathers seem stuck together.  ???

Do you think she is ill?

Cinderhills

• Joined Jul 2010
  • North Yorkshire
Re: Poorly or not poorly?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2011, 08:55:51 am »
Ditto here too.  Mine had EXACTLY the same signs.  We cleaned her bottom but it was then bare for ages as the feathers didn't grow back.  Unfortunately I found her dead one morning in the chicken house a couple of weeks.  I assumed it was just an age thing but would be interested to see what others think.

smitham3

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2011, 03:42:02 pm »
We have 10 ex bat hens, 4 left from 2 years ago and a new batch of 6- 3 months ago. One of the original 6  now has a pretty dirty bum but also is "waddling a bit"" like a penguin with her bum low slung! She is eating well, but looks so sad. Any suggestions, please?

egbert

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2011, 11:01:55 pm »
Hmm, bum still dirty but drier i think. Definitely laid an egg today so not egg bound.

I hope she is not poorly, she is still perky and acting normally. However, any thoughts would be great.

Cinderhills

• Joined Jul 2010
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2011, 08:50:41 am »
Egbert - I just wanted to get this post at the top of the pile again if you don't mind as I would love to hear what others think as it is perplexing.

egbert

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2011, 07:12:34 pm »
No problem  ;)

But I am guessing from the lack of replies no one really has an answer, which in a way is good  ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS