Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: please advise - poorly hen!  (Read 1672 times)

mab

• Joined Mar 2009
  • carmarthenshire
please advise - poorly hen!
« on: May 07, 2011, 07:16:36 pm »
I've just got back from after 36hrs away to find one of m ex-batts on the doorstep looking very unwell. The neighbour was looking in  on the animals and feeding them so there's been no lack of food or water.

she's lying slightly to one side with her tail down (goes up & down as she breathes), head down and her eyes are open. I can hear her breath as she exhales. her bum looks clean and dry though there is a big spray of runny yellowy-white poop near where I found her. One of the other 3 hens has a mucky bum (again) so that could be from her; she and the other hens all seem happy.

I've put her in a box in the kitchen with food & water under her beak, but apart from lifting her head briefly as I carried her into the house she's not responding.

Any advice welcome.

For info: they were VermX'd about 5 weeks ago. They free range on almost an acre with 2 sheep and also eat a mix of mixed corn & layers pellets. I'm not sure if she's laying or not, but about a week ago I did find a tiny (1 inch long) egg with no yoke. I have been having problems with blackbirds in their feed (and bathing in their water).

thx

mab

mab

• Joined Mar 2009
  • carmarthenshire
Re: please advise - poorly hen!
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2011, 07:39:45 pm »
Just to add that since I wrote, she's raised her head, opened her beak and seems to be panting.

m

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2011, 07:55:56 pm »
sounds like some kind of respiritory infection .. may need anti-biotics or something?
poor hen :(
Little Blue

mab

• Joined Mar 2009
  • carmarthenshire
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2011, 09:55:34 pm »
Anti-biotics?

Hmm,  I wonder if I can get some out of the vets without paying a consultation fee?

Can't really justify the cost of vet consultations for an old hen.  :-\

thx
m

mab

• Joined Mar 2009
  • carmarthenshire
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2011, 11:53:05 pm »
Rats!

The hen started producing mucus from her beak & breathing harder. I was just in the process of writing on here for advice on making her more comfortable when she thew a fit and died.  :(

Oh well, I guess that just leaves the question of what I should do for the others - should I just watch them for now or should I try and get some antibiotics for them?

m

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS