Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What you charging for sausages  (Read 9203 times)

jacksonsrarebreedpork

• Joined Mar 2011
What you charging for sausages
« on: May 07, 2011, 02:54:50 pm »
hi all just being curious
What are you charging for sausages direct to customers...
Thanks

TheCaptain

• Joined May 2010
Re: What you charging for sausages
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2011, 04:44:32 pm »
£3.60 per pack of six, which are about .75 Kg in weight.

jacksonsrarebreedpork

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2011, 05:52:21 pm »
thanks

ShaunP

• Joined Dec 2009
    • Timber Chalets and Lodges
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2011, 07:48:47 pm »
I get charged £3.50 a kilo by the butcher and they are fab!!! So I will only sell them if I get £8.00 a kilo which my family and friends are prepared to pay!!

jacksonsrarebreedpork

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2011, 08:16:30 pm »
wow thats a good price

ShaunP

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2011, 08:32:51 pm »
I was in Tesco earlier and was studying the price of sausages......they charge £8.31 a kilo for a free range sausage that is 90% meat. I can get £6.00 a kilo for half pigs that dont cost me so much to get butchered. I usually look for around £10 a kilo for bacon, sausge and gammon halfs. I dont do very many so getting these prices if trying to shift lots of meat might not be possible. I have now converted my buyers to what I have to offer as they agree that it is better than the supermarket crud.

robert waddell

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2011, 08:42:50 pm »
that crud was produced by a farmer :o

ShaunP

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2011, 08:51:44 pm »
that crud was produced by a farmer :o

That crud was mass produced to get to a price that also gives the seller a profit margin. For what it is worth, I think the biggest problem with British farming is there lack of marketing and selling direct there own produce. There reliance on selling through markets destroys the value in what they produce. I am not an anti supermarket lobbyist, but generaly people get what they pay for. If you want mass produced food, buy it in a supermarket, it will be cheap. But if you want something better, you wont find it in Tesco!!!!!

robert waddell

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2011, 08:59:41 pm »
if you were to research this one (if they will divulge prices) you will find the primary producer is just breaking even and the supermarket is making money  as a marketing exercise take a couple of pigs to your local market  and see the value you are in for a shock and see about value then :wave:

ShaunP

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2011, 09:07:27 pm »
if you were to research this one (if they will divulge prices) you will find the primary producer is just breaking even and the supermarket is making money  as a marketing exercise take a couple of pigs to your local market  and see the value you are in for a shock and see about value then :wave:

I think we are singing from the same hymn sheet Lillian. My point is that the farmer is not getting "the value" of there finished product as they dont do the work to finish and sell the finished product.

robert waddell

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2011, 09:24:57 pm »
how can they get the value they are producing 500-1000 finnished pigs per week you try marketing that amount of pork per week :wave:

ShaunP

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2011, 09:46:39 pm »
I am not sure what point you are making that is any different from what I original said.

In a nut shell they are spending there time producing pork that is then being processed and sold on with other people taking profit along the way. It seems to me the power is with the supermarket selling the product. The supplier "making" the pork is at there mercy. The supermarkets will drive down the cost then buy elsewhere if neccesary. I agree that for many farmers they dont have marketing or selling skills to process what they are producing. Then they should really take a long hard look at what they are doing to get out of the rut that a lot of farmers are in. I dont see the answer in producing a product that you cant make a reasonable return on.

robert waddell

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2011, 10:02:09 pm »
all the products on the suppermarket shelves are purchased the same way should Heinz sell only to the corner shops to increase there profit
i don't think you understand the complexities involved and the money tied up        as a point of interest how many pigs do you have as a throughput :wave:

ShaunP

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2011, 10:19:30 pm »
I have only got 6 pigs here. But I do understand about running a business.

I am still not sure what point you are making that is different from mine?

I run a construction company. I often turn away work that I am unable to do for what I see as a reasonable return. That lesson has been learnt the hard way!!

AI think we both agree that British farming has its problems?

What do you see as the problems and where do the solutions come from?

I am off to bed now. Perhaps we should start a wider debate about farming and its problems in the coffee lounge?

robert waddell

« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2011, 10:55:15 pm »
marketing 6 pigs and selling the end product (in a year) is a lot different to marketting 500-1000 per week :wave:
now the construction  i am presuming it is not Balfour beatty the size of you company the same principal applies
Scotland has been flooded by first English company's buying work and now the Irish have started the same the plant hire rates slashed to less than the cost of the operator     also if you are south of brummie the recession has not affected you to the same extent as Scotland 
that is why the working man/redundant man have given the SNPsuch a resounding victory that will have re percutions in the rest of Britain
sweet dreams :wave:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS