Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Nursery fruit making me feel down!!!  (Read 10321 times)

sellickbhoy

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Muiravonside, near Linlithgow
Nursery fruit making me feel down!!!
« on: January 27, 2009, 01:34:53 pm »
Hi all

i recently bought and planted a whole load of fruit trees and bushes - apples, cookers, pears, plum, loads of rasps, blackberries, a pair of Kiwi's, cranberry and tayberry - and i'd already had a couple of blackberries in teh garden

I've also got about 40 strawbs in pots - 8 of them are going into their second season after a glorious 1st season and the rest are new plants coming into their first fruitful summer - the older plants have all been cut back

I was in the local nursery last night getting some bits and pieces and they had fruit plants for sale - they all looked very lively, plenty leaves on. But mine are all still "naked" in that respect.

OK, i guess these were grown under cover ot somewhere warmer so they are ready for planting out now and mine are still in the dormant winter phase, but left me right scunnered.

can't wait for the next month or so and hoepfully the return of some life to the garden!!

juliag

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Wanstrow somerset
Re: Nursery fruit making me feel down!!!
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2009, 02:24:18 pm »
mine are just the same as yours, 56 raspberry canes put in last year and they just look 'dead'. Roll on next month , only a few more weeks to go and signs of life should be showing  :)
juliag

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2009, 03:02:19 pm »
But maybe the nursery ones have been brought on too quickly and may not be such good producers?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2009, 09:11:50 pm »
Mine all look dead too, but they'll soon come away. the blackcurrants and gooseberries have leaf buds and the rhubarb is pushing through as well. And I heard two blackbirds giving it laldy yesterday evening - spring is just around the corner!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2009, 01:17:06 am »
Ooh, Rosemary - could you let me have a Rhubarb stool please if you have enough of it.  That's one of the plants the old man next door covered with 4 inches of chuckies when he bought my croft!  As well as about £1000 of other plants - just killed stone dead for no other reason than he wanted an easy life.  Lazy B----r
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2009, 06:49:44 pm »
Absolutely no problem. We'll try to lift it at the weekend - weather permitting and I'll email you.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2009, 06:57:12 pm »
Super - I can maybe take Andrew's plastic box over at the same time - forgot to take it out of the car at the meeting.

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2009, 11:47:32 pm »
If I want to split or move rhubard, can I still do it now? And they'll be ok for picking from this year?

Beth

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2009, 07:51:10 pm »
I think it's OK to do it now - obviously, since I've just done it :)

It's pretty hardy stuff.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2009, 08:18:42 pm »
It sure is - we had a rhubarb patch when we moved in to our croft about the size of a billiard table and by the time I sold it 10 years later it was the size of the penalty box on a pitch. ;D ;D

sellickbhoy

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2009, 02:50:19 pm »
spring is indeed just around the corner!!

My 2nd year rhubarb is starting to poke through - no sign of the new stuff planted in october though - but no rush

and all my strawberry plants that had looked a bit dead are showing signs of life as new green sheets/leaves are appearing

no action on teh blackberry/raspberry front though

still, i'll be patient - i'm sure it'll all be fine!

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2009, 09:53:47 am »
Did you see on Countryside this week that the lady was selling rhubarb for £4.80 a kilo, I was so shocked  :o

sunnyjohn

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Milton Keynes
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2009, 06:49:14 pm »
With an ample supply of rhubarb on one of our allotment plots, we were happy to offer a 'spare' root on another plot to anyone who wanted it. We've plans to renovate the plot, and the one rhubarb plant was in ther way. It was evidently large and neglected, but I hadn't reckoned on HOW large. It took an afternoon to ease it from the soil and, even breaking off many roots and cutting off some of the peripheries, I ended up with a HUGE mass of root that took two people to lift out of the ground. By then our 'quarrying' had attracted plenty of interest, and several people asked for some of it. We ended up dividing it into eight sizeable lumps, which took two trips in the wheelbarrow to deliver to the eager recipients. So, five happy fellow allotmenters later, and a gooseberry bush also shifted, the ground is cleared for the rotovator to work right through. I just need a couple of barrow-loads of topsoil to fill the enormous hole!

It's gratifying to know we have so much on another plot we could 'spare' that one, and that it will be used and not wasted. And, after all, rhubarb tatses good and 'keeps you regular', as my granny always said, with a naughty grin!

Where we live, 40 miles north of London, the raspberry canes are leafing nicely, and lots of the little 'suckers' are sprouting new canes a foot or two from the 'parent' canes. We did really well with them last year, and we're hopeful of as many this year. We're looking forward to raspberries, raspberry flans, pies, jam, cakes.... I'm drooling at the thought... (or maybe it's just old age!)

Sunny John

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Near Stirling, Central Scotland
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2009, 09:23:45 pm »
many of my fruit bushes are showing willing with buds or green leaves but they are a little sheltered by a fence.

linz

btw to see if you bush (the ones with woody stem) are still alive use a thumb nail and scratch a very small piece to see if you see any green underneath the 'bark' if you get green then it's alive but if it is dark colour then that piece is dead.

Linz

sellickbhoy

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2009, 09:29:22 pm »
the rhubarb and strawbs are all going great guns now!!

loads of rhubarb - and i've even started some off from seed that i hope to add to the patch next year. I'll keep it in a pot in the green house this year to get it going

i have a couple of strawbs in the house and i've already had flowers on them, think i'll get them moved out now along with the 40 or so others i have out there - which have all also sprung to life and are looking good :-)
i'm so excited!!!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS