Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Faggots  (Read 12262 times)

pigsatlesrues

• Joined Oct 2008
  • Normandy, France
Faggots
« on: November 15, 2007, 01:39:11 pm »
25g butter
1 med onion, peeled and finely chopped
175g minced pigs liver
2 lamb or pigs' heart, trimmed and rind removed
half tsp mace
450g belly pork, trimmed and rind removed
4tbsp freshly chopped chives
1 tsp freshly chopped sage
1 egg, beaten
salt and freshly ground pepper
115g fresh white bread crumbs
25g beef dripping or 3tbsp olive oil

For the gravy

4 red onions, peeled and ech onion cut into 8 wedges
4 sprigs of fresh thyme
1 tbsp olive oil
900 ml beef stock
290 ml red wine
salt and freshly ground black pepper

Method

1.   Melt the butter in a saucepan and add oinions. Cook until soft and transparent. Cool slightly.
2.   Place the belly pork onto a chopping board and cut into portions.
3.   Place the minced pigs' liver into a large bowl and place directly under the blade of a mincer. Using a fine blade of a mincer, mince the pork belly and heart directly into the bowl with the pigs' liver.
4.   Add the cooled chopped onions, mace, chives, sage, beated egg and salt and pepper. Stir in the breadcrumbs.
5.   OPTIONAL PREPARATION
      Using your hands shape the mixture into 12 patties. Place on a plate and
      chill for about an hour.

OR

Place mixture into over proof dish (or foil freezer dish with lid) and spread
      evenly. Chill also if you are cooking it for dinner.

At this stage you can decided whether to freeze the faggots/meat loaf. I make a meat loat and freeze it uncooked - less fuss - and a great pre-prepared dinner for the family

FOR FAGGOTS
6.  Preheat the over to 200C/400F/Gas 6.
7.  For the gravy: place the onion wedges into a large roasting pan or ovenproof dish. Add thyme and drizzle over the olive oil. Place in the oven and roast uncovered for 40 minutes until the onions are caramelised.
8.  Meanwhile heat the dripping or olive oil in a large frying pan. Fry faggots until golden brown on both sides.
9.  Place the stock and wine in a saucepan, bring to the boil and reduce by a third.
10 Remove the roasted onions from the oven and lay the faggots on top. Pour over the gravy liquer. Reduce the oven temperature to 180c/350F/Gas4 and cook the faggots for 40 minutes.
11.Place two to three faggots onto a plate. Top with spoonful of the onions and pour over gravy. Serve the faggots with mashed potatoes and green veg.

FOR MEATLOAF

Make gravy in the same way.

Defrost meat loaf if frozen. Pour some of the gravy into the dish but do not submerge.

Cook in oven for around 30/35 minutes at 180C and equiviant temperatures.

Drizzel remaining heated gravy over faggots when serving.

(If I want to use up kidneys I mince them in as well. You can pretty much adapt it to what you have including minced raw onions if you don't want to pre cook them - it works for me!).

Enjoy!

« Last Edit: November 15, 2007, 03:24:24 pm by pigsatlesrues »
Bonjour et avoir un bon jour !

pigsatlesrues

• Joined Oct 2008
  • Normandy, France
Re: Faggots
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2007, 11:30:03 am »
Since we have a pig being slaughtered today, which is always hard for me, dread it infact  :(, I am reminded that it is important to retreive the lacey stuff from the lining of the stomach to cover your faggots or meat loaf. I cannot remember the name of it though, sorry. It is white and tends to dry and stick together once exposed to the outside world, but once soaked in warm water becomes very plyable and easy to use. It gives a nice finish to your meat and retains it's look and doesn't shrink after cooking.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2007, 05:21:59 pm »
I have forgotten the name as well, but its extremely versatile.  You can use this to cover the Sunday jont, especially chicken for a nice browned finish, also cover the pate with it when cooking.  Although the main use it gets in our house is the cats, they adore it fried. 

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2007, 06:56:57 pm »
Sounds yummy - not! Is it like tripe?

pigsatlesrues

• Joined Oct 2008
  • Normandy, France
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2007, 08:27:29 pm »
No Rosemary, not like tripe at all. It is very thin and as I described lacey and very pliable when stretched on or around your meat/paté/faggots etc.

It is going to bug me all evening now until I remember the name!!

rustyme

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2007, 05:54:05 pm »
not sure if you will see this now ,and you may have remembered anyway....but it is the caul I think you are talking about. It is a membrane that covers the paunch in animals, I know it sounds yukki but it really is nice if you wrap your faggots with it . An old saying was that it looks like an old ladies hair net or South America.

cheers Russ

pigsatlesrues

• Joined Oct 2008
  • Normandy, France
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2008, 06:35:42 pm »
Yes that is it Russ although another challenge for me is to remember the French name as well!

Kate

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS