Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Azaleas  (Read 1931 times)

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
Azaleas
« on: May 06, 2011, 10:25:16 am »
When I moved here I had several azalea bushes growing in the orchard and lovely as they were I wanted veg beds so they had to move to provide an alternative path through..

5 were relocated - 2 under an apple tree elsewhere in the garden seem to be doing fine, another 3 are in the same bed in front of the oil tank and of those 3 one is doing well (about to flower), one has half of it in leaf the other half brown, and the third in line appears dead ???  All in the same soil, same amount of watering, same level of the bed and the dead one was perhaps under slightly more shade but I cut back the branch last year and thought it'd come back.

Any ideas?  I suppose the 3rd is a hopeless case but is there any chance of restoring half a bush to a whole bush?  Can you prune azaleas back to just the healthy section or would that do more damage?
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Azaleas
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2011, 11:26:22 am »
You can't do more damage than dead so I'd cut it back.  Are they perhaps in a draught?  Azaleas don't like that.  I take it there's never any leakage from your oil tank when being filled?  And do you keep an eye on the driver - they aren't too careful about plants in my experience. I don't think they take kindly to being moved either but I suppose the others are Ok, so 3 out of 5 ain't bad.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS