Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Any ideas of an abattoir for a 200kg boar  (Read 3103 times)

Lynnes

• Joined May 2009
  • My boy's
Any ideas of an abattoir for a 200kg boar
« on: May 05, 2011, 04:50:14 pm »
 Just don't have the room for him now shame as he has a lovely Quiet nature. :'(  He lives out all year round. Just stuck as what to do with him now.  He is crossbred, bit of everything. Phoned Carluke but he is too big, tried to phone wishaw no reply so will phone them tomorrow.
One of his girl friends is same size or 'bit bigger' ha ha will post a photo when I can   

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
Re: Any ideas of an abattoir for a 200kg boar
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2011, 05:14:34 pm »
 :o 200kg doesn't sound oversize for an adult boar (& this is coming from a Kune fan who thinks her 108kg castrate if HUGE ;) )

I know HappyHippy has used Wishaw with no probs - now, where is she at the mo?
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

HappyHippy

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2011, 05:18:46 pm »
I'm here  :wave:

Wishaw do cast sows now and again, I'd imagine they'd take a boar too ;) if you go to the slaughter house page on http://scottishpigs.co.uk you'll get the info and contact details you need  ;)
HTH
Karen x

robert waddell

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2011, 05:29:45 pm »
what about robertsons of ardrossan  they do pigs dont know about this size  and what are you going to do with the meat :wave:

Lynnes

• Joined May 2009
  • My boy's
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2011, 09:12:43 pm »
Thankyou everyone, It's 100kg max in both Carluke and ardrossan, I have Wishaw's phone number but thankyou for the link I will have a look and will try them again tomorrow.  I don't have his exact weight yet I was going by a sow about his size, not be too far away -I dont think- will do that first then I am prepaired. I will take the abattoir's advice on what to do with the meat.  I need sausages and burgers but have not gave it much thought as the meat probably wont be good. I have eaten boars at a year old and the meat was lovely, I don't hold out much hope though  of getting my sausages from him.   :)       

robert waddell

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2011, 09:20:26 pm »
the other thing to do is send to cheale meats that way you dont have to eat tainted meat  :wave:

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2011, 10:20:17 am »
Cheale do large pigs but its a long trip down there and he would probably end up in a wagon with loads of other commercial pigs and for me thats not the way i would want my animal to end his life. I've looked at this recently as gerry & delia are both over 300Kg (we weighed them on weigh bridge!!) and at some point in the future i will need to dipose of them. In the end i've decided they'll be put to sleep in their own beds and disposed of via fallen stock collection.
But i guess it depends on if you want somethingback from the pig you're sending.
Best on whtaever you decide.
Mandy  :pig:

robert waddell

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2011, 11:55:46 am »
you have to be realistic about any stock at there end of use period :'(
you are better getting something for them than having to pay to dispose          sows you can eat but boars well try one and tell us what like it tastes :wave:

Blonde

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2011, 05:04:41 am »
Why not advertise  him in the paper for saugsages....surely you will get a reply

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2011, 10:13:36 am »
Just a quick addition to this.... sent a barren gilt to butchers couple weeks ago she weighed in at 210kg. She cost £275 to be slaughtered and turned into sausages and bacon.I filled 2 freezers with her!! and I have just a say broke even on her!!!
Food for thought Mandy  :pig:

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2011, 10:37:12 am »
mmmmmmmmmmmm tasty though.   :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS