Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Added a super yet?  (Read 11549 times)

Small Farmer

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Bedfordshire
Re: Added a super yet?
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2012, 07:57:18 am »
And we're still feeding our colonies. Lots of brood but no stores. This time last year we'd had our first swarm.
Being certain just means you haven't got all the facts

Plantoid

• Joined May 2011
  • Yorkshireman on a hill in wet South Wales
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2012, 08:00:01 pm »
The OSR has come into flower half a mile away so the supers have gone on. But we lost a nucleus this week through starvation. Even though there was syrup in the nuke box it has been too cold around here for them to use it according to the bee inspector.  We aren't seeing air temperatures over 10 yet.

Very annoying: she was a nice queen.

Was that because you tried to over winter a neuc instead of uniting it or was it this years neuc ???
International playboy & liar .
Man of the world not a country

Small Farmer

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2012, 07:53:09 pm »
We came through the winter with more strong colonies than we wanted so were going unite some of them.  One of new group members then asked if she could have a nucleus, so that was the plan.  We had warm dry weather in March, indeed drought, so we'd just got started when the drought broke and the temperature dropped. 

The poor bees actually had sugar available within the box but had the frost caused them to cluster tightly together, it seems.

The local bee inspector has circulated a warning around the area about starvation.  It's highly variable - some members are stacking up supers while the more exposed are feeding syrup by the gallon

Small Farmer

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2012, 09:35:00 am »
and we're still feeding the bees sugar solution.

anderso

• Joined Jan 2012
  • brokenbrough
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2012, 04:41:51 pm »
Wiltshire - put on some food - but they have all been out to day for the hedgerows
when the revolution comes it will be a co-op

Maesgwyn

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2012, 12:19:27 pm »
It would be interesting to see where in the country everyone is, I belong the the Teifiside bee keepers and most of us are feeding still, looking forward to a poor honey season :(

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2012, 01:09:36 pm »
Maesgwyn, we belong to Llangadog bee keepers.  OH added a supper on Sunday but we are going between very active days and nothing at all.

Sally
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2012, 01:10:05 am »
Still waiting to get into mine for the first check of the year, the weather has been so bad for them this year - if it's not too windy, it's too wet or too cold  ::)

I know they're ok, as I have spotted bees going in with pollen on the odd day they can get out & they are still taking down cake, so they're not starving.  It's just a shame that the fruit trees are starting to blossom & the bees can't get out to them at the moment - I just hope the trees can hold-on to their flowers in this wind so the bees can pollinate them - looks like it could be a poor year for honey & fruit this year  ::)

Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

Small Farmer

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2012, 09:51:41 pm »
Looks like it could be a lousy year for pollination in the orchard and honey production.  We're still feeding and the colonies are confused.  OH did an artificial swarm at the weekend on one, and the bugger swarmed anyway.  So cold it only went about 2 metres, so out last night in the dusk collecting them in

Plantoid

• Joined May 2011
  • Yorkshireman on a hill in wet South Wales
« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2012, 11:53:58 pm »
I agree it is  a good idea to attend meetings and talk with other beekeepers, when you have the time. I heard a great talk by the FERA bee inspector, Andy Watton, called the 20 minute beekeeper, it was an excellent talk and shows methods to preempt the bees. For example, in an "out apairy" putting on not one super but two, the second super is placed above the crown board and one hole opened up in the crown board to allow bees through when they have filled the first super, this is useful in situations where you have not had time to react to their progress, i.e. in a good nectar flow.

This year I have experimented with just a wax strip at the top of the frames in my supers, three reasons:

a) allows me to include the comb in the honey, i.e. no foundation.
b) saves on foundation
c) keeps the bees too busy building comb, to think about swarming (not sure this is true!)

The downside of the above is that is cost more in terms of honey production for the bees to make their own comb, but I think they are calmer this year on balance. Has anyone else tried the above method in their supers?

Eventually I ran all my supers in fifty hive  with a poured bead of wax and forsook about a pound of honey per frame to get them built . Like you say it did seem to hold back swarming .
 I used to take cut comb  from the unstained white capped frames inthe  supers and the heavily stained honey was simplt cut out with an electric hot knife and dropped direct into a 4 x 3 x 2 foot home made easy B melter to melt and separate overnight .
 To help the bees build new xcomb i used to feed four gallons of syrup per hive via a  3 inches deep water tight crown board that had a central hole up a  three inch block of wood in the middle .
I  used to drag a 45 gallon drum of syrup around on my trailer in a purpose made lay down cradle and 12 volt pump the syrup to the hive via a 50 foot 3/4 hose pipe
International playboy & liar .
Man of the world not a country

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS