Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Elderflower Recipes  (Read 7684 times)

Fi

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Aberdeenshire
Elderflower Recipes
« on: May 05, 2011, 09:02:15 am »
I know it's not time yet but has anyone got some good recipes for Elderflower. Tried making cordial last year from a recipe found on the web. It was okay, used heaps of sugar!, but didn't keep.
Any ideas and tried and tested successes?
Fi

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
Re: Elderflower Recipes
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2011, 10:54:49 am »
20 Flowerheads
2 pints water
2 lbs sugar (white)
2 lemons

Bring water to the boil, add sugar & sliced-up lemons, stir till sugars dissolved.  Leave to cool & add flowerheads (don't wash them beforehand - it takes away the natural yeast, I think  ??? ).  Leave for 48 hours, strain & boil again for 15 mins.  Pour into sterilised bottles while still hot (if you can turn them upside down for a while it'll help with the sterilisation - just make sure the lids are on tightly!)

Not sure how long it would keep though, as we'd drunk it within 2 weeks - lovely  :yum:
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

Frieslandfilly

• Joined Apr 2009
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2011, 01:53:33 pm »
I used the above recipe, I dont think it does keep very long, try saving milk cartons and freezing it until you need/want it.

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2011, 12:13:28 pm »
no, it won't last long -  you can add some citric or tataric acid to make it last for about a year, just dissolve in the hot water with the sugar. You might have to order through winemaking sites, it does not seem to be available any more from chemists  ::) :&>

Simon O

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Bonkle
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2011, 05:36:18 pm »
.....difficulty in availability of these items due to use by drug abusers however can be ordered in for you by the pharmacist if they know you!

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2011, 06:28:11 pm »
winemaking suppliers - ebay, no problem. Our chemist claimed that it's the wholesaler after chekcing the list...and they do know me  ::) :&>

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2011, 07:32:36 am »
I used Beewyched's recipe last year (or very similar) and made loads. I did use citric acid and decanted it into those little 330ml plastic drinks bottles and froze it.

Still drinking it now and it lasts a couple of weeks at least in the fridge once opened.

Our local brew shop sells citric acid by the half kilo which is handy. Boots were very cagey about it - due to the drugs issue

« Last Edit: May 07, 2011, 07:34:55 am by suziequeue »
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2011, 08:50:32 am »
as if druggies didn't know where to get it.... :&>

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2011, 03:20:58 pm »
Well exactly!!  :) :)
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

Fi

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2011, 07:59:23 am »
Thanks everyone. When is it best to pick the flower heads and is granulated sugar okay? I didn't put any lemon in mine last year so will definitely try this. Yeah and I guess I should have frozen some, that obviously makes sense.
Fi

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2011, 08:40:36 am »
When is it best to pick the flower heads and is granulated sugar okay? I didn't put any lemon in mine last year so will definitely try this.

Once they are open and on a sunny day. Granulated sugar is fine, it dissolves in the hot water. Sliced lime is nice, too.  :&>

Rainyplace

• Joined Jan 2008
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2011, 06:31:50 am »
Elderflower fritters are lovely! Pick some heads of Elderflower, shake off any lurking insects, dip in a light batter, deep fry and dust with icing sugar. Great fun to do outside on a camping stove with the kids.

Simon O

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Bonkle
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2011, 08:01:48 am »
Tasted Tom's elderflower champagne from last year at last night's Clyde Valley Orchard Group cider competition. It was dry and flowery with good fizz and tasted of elderflower and lychees - excellent! I am definitely going to try some this year as well as the cordial which was great last year, but I just did not make enough.
Simon

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2011, 02:22:54 pm »
Elderflower fritters are lovely! Pick some heads of Elderflower, shake off any lurking insects, dip in a light batter, deep fry and dust with icing sugar. Great fun to do outside on a camping stove with the kids.

:yum: will defo have a go this year ;D
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2011, 10:44:45 pm »
well my elderflower champers is bubbling away as we speak hopefully I can get a few more in before the flowers go. I think I may freeze some flowers for later on. We have lots of elder not just in the field but all along the lanes so will be plenty of berries for wine later in the year

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS