Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: hot chook  (Read 1937 times)

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
hot chook
« on: May 04, 2011, 02:30:20 pm »
one of my red exbatt type chooks has a bald patch below her bottom which is incredibly warm to touch and feels swollen to me.

any suggestions clues what might be the cause of this, she doesn't seem particularly distressed by it more annoyed about being handled to check it (my exbatts have never got used to being handled)

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
Re: hot chook
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2011, 02:34:36 pm »
Is she plucking feathers for broody reasons. I had one that done that every spring and was always warmer to the touch. Check for mites especially the coup for red spider mite the little blighters hide under the pearch ends etc

It-needed-a-home

• Joined Apr 2011
  • Aberdeenshire
  • Zeus (our saxony duck)
Re: hot chook
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2011, 04:22:48 pm »
this may be a chicken underneath her when perched at night or also a rat ??

if not it could be mites they are reasonably easy to get rid of. Powder is the best you can get it the same place you get your feed or on the net! remember to do both the bird and also the coop and the bird again in a few weeks but use plenty dont be worried about putting too much on also put it in there sand or dust where they sit during the day

hope this helps

8) :cat: :chook: :chook: :chook: :chook: :&> :&> :&> :farmer:
Well i have cut back and i still have to many !!!! Oh well just as well i love them !!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS