Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hebrideans for sale.... maybe!  (Read 3914 times)

Dizzycow

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Fife
Hebrideans for sale.... maybe!
« on: May 04, 2011, 07:51:02 am »
Very, very reluctantly and sadly I am considering putting my ten beautiful Hebridean ewe yearlings up for sale. They were born last may, it is / was my intention to bring in a tup this autumn and lamb next spring. They will make a very good 'starter flock'.

I haven't made the final decision yet, I can't quite bring myself to(!) but am wondering if anyone knows roughly what I should charge for the flock if I do sell them?

Thanks, Vikki :'(

princesspiggy

Re: Hebrideans for sale.... maybe!
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2011, 10:48:12 am »
would depend if they were registered?

Dizzycow

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Fife
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2011, 11:07:01 am »
Sorry, should have said that. Yes, they are registered.

robate55

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Suffolk
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2011, 03:27:43 pm »
Where are you? I might be interested in a few registered ewes for our registered tup. Are any 4 horned as I particularly want those. Would not be up for 10 though as some of my unreg ewes will probably be here for ever.
Rose

Dizzycow

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Fife
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2011, 03:55:06 pm »
I think only one is four horned, I can go and check! We're near Dunfermline. Where are you? If I don't sell them I'll be looking for a tup....!

robate55

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Suffolk
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2011, 04:29:28 pm »
Down in Suffolk so a bit far. I'm not in any hurry for new ewes at present but will take advantage if I hear any available. I'm going to take my time to get registered ewes this time after starting with unreg. The trouble is I am too fond of some of my ewes so have to go slowly in grading up
Rose

Dizzycow

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Fife
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2011, 05:07:42 pm »
Yes, you are a bit of a hike away! I've spent the day mulling it over and have decided that I will battle on and keep my girls for now. I do adore them. Good luck with yours!

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2011, 05:40:25 pm »
I think only one is four horned, I can go and check! We're near Dunfermline. Where are you? If I don't sell them I'll be looking for a tup....!

I will have registered tups for sale.  I'm a bit south of you near Biggar.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Dizzycow

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Fife
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2011, 05:54:38 pm »
Thick question, but I'm new to this! If I bought a tup would I have to keep him separated from the girls the rest of the year round? (I was in India many years back and in a village they had a magnificent goat who had a red and white spotted handkerchief tied around his middle which was keeping his essentials out of mischief! Crude but efficient!)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2011, 08:46:19 pm »
There's no definitive answer to this question.  If you leave the tup in all year round you will not know when your ewes will lamb.  Hebs are generally seasonal breeders but there are enough little unseasonal surprises around to disprove that rule. Some tups are fine running with the ewes when they are lambing but some are not - a ewe in labour gives off strange messages to a male, who may butt her and even kill the new lambs - or he might not.  The simplest answer is to keep the tup in with the surplus male lambs which will be going for meat.  We wean our lambs in late August then run them on for a full year, sending them off in early August.  We have several tups so even for those couple of weeks (while the grass recovers) they are not alone, but you could do it so the shearlings went off one day and the lambs were weaned the next, or even the same day.  This system requires a minimum of 3 paddocks, so you can also wean the ewe lambs but keep them separate from the tups and from their brothers.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

violet

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2011, 11:00:28 pm »
I may be interested,. but not in all 10. I'm north of you & Dumferline is near enough to do a day trip.
I currently keep Shetlands and am looking for a second breed Hebrideans would be perfect. Do you have photo's?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS