Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Any hints for giving medicine orally by syringe?  (Read 6022 times)

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
Re: Any hints for giving medicine orally by syringe?
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2011, 06:53:14 pm »
Tummy rumbles ok Mary - they're ruminants ;)
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

McRennet

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2011, 07:00:28 pm »
Quick tip for next time you need to worm, I've just done my grown up and girls and the weaned kids.

I too took the cat approach, in terms of get in, get it done quick as a flash and then get out! They will never even know it's happened!

I used the syringes for the kids as they only needed a small dose and I didn't want to risk it with a drenching gun.
However: another point, there is a video on youtube by Adam Henson from Countryfile showing the correct way to use a drench gun - worth a watch. It's part of a series called The Smallholder Series.

However back to my original point, the larger girls I straddled them as if riding them (but don't worry, I did NOT sit on them!) and then put my hand under their chins, lifted up with a scratch for them (they love a good scratch) and then went in down the side of the mouth and cheek. Squirt and done. Easy. \With the kids, if i sit on the floor of their pen they come over for cuddles and lie on my lap so used the same technique but smaller scale I guess!

As for the tummy rumblings, this is very good, only panic when you don't hear this. Ideally you would like to hear rumen noise and therefore movement every 1-1.5 mins.

Hope this helps! And hope the OH's back gets better soon!

McR x

princesspiggy

« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2011, 09:00:32 pm »
id just get her backend between ur legs so u can use ur legs to hold her still, then open her mouth and put syringe in as far as is safe, keep her head up until she swallows. swallow or die ..... lol
blow gently at their nostrils
il try that  ;D

NormandyMary

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2011, 10:00:28 pm »
Im sure the wormer has worked, there have been no white bits in their poo for a couple of days. They just eat all day though. I cant get my head round it, they just wont stop!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS