Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: sun tan cream  (Read 6921 times)

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
Re: sun tan cream
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2011, 10:50:05 pm »
Coloured sun cream - fab! Now we can recognise them by their ears only - usually the only thing still visible after a roll in the mud!  ;D We could name them Pinky, Blueboy, Greengirl...

Somehow our pigs always end up with just the top of their ears, that most vulnerable bit, without mud - maybe one of those pigs from a 500-strong farm can explain to them how it's done!  :D

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2011, 11:01:14 pm »
Imagine the size of a wallow for 500   :D I don't know of anyone with a herd that size keeping them outside - maybe that's how they get over the sunburn issue  ;)
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

ambriel

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Kinlochbervie, NW Sutherland, Scotland
  • Mad, bad, and dangerous to know!
    • Harbour Cottage
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2011, 09:34:46 pm »

OK another daft question coming up, maybe: is there anything I need to watch out for in the ingredients list that should be avoided for pigs?

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2011, 09:42:17 pm »
Not a daft question - one I hadn't thought of asking tho - just assumed that human sun screen would be ok for pigs  ::)
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2011, 09:58:59 pm »
Not a daft question - one I hadn't thought of asking tho - just assumed that human sun screen would be ok for pigs  ::)

errr... in theory, humans should be less likely to eat anything that's put in front of their noses!

(We had a rescue dog once, she'd nearly starved and so that was the excuse we made for her manners.  Her first rule of life was, "If I can swallow it, it might be edible.  If it doesn't come back up, it was.")
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2011, 10:06:09 pm »
Oh bless - thankfully she ended up with you  :love:

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2011, 09:55:08 am »
oooh thats so sweet.

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2011, 01:01:37 pm »
Oh that poor dog, she's so right in her attitude!
We've never seen the sun cream causing rashes or anything, so just any should be fine. Good question, though!
We've also used baby oil on dry pig skin, again with no ill effects. 

ambriel

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Kinlochbervie, NW Sutherland, Scotland
  • Mad, bad, and dangerous to know!
    • Harbour Cottage
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2011, 11:06:41 pm »

Thanks, I'll take a look in Tiso next time I'm in Inverness.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS