Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: labrador doesnt like water!  (Read 8110 times)

marie

• Joined Apr 2011
labrador doesnt like water!
« on: May 02, 2011, 08:29:56 pm »
 ??? We have a 4 year old black lab. We got him as a puppy and love him to bits. But when we go near water he walks as far away from it as he possibly can.(this include small puddles) He only went in when I was swimming in a river then he tried to climb on me to get out. He will not chase a stick into the water. Is this normal for a labrador or do we force him in, I thought labradors were supposed to love water.   :dog::chook:

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: labrador doesnt like water!
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2011, 09:02:55 pm »
Why do you need him to go in water? ???  Yes, Labradors normally like water but dogs aren't all the same.  Perhaps he had a fright as a puppy? ??? Did anyone throw him in expecting him to like it and swim instantly because he is a Lab?

My dogs aren't allowed to chase my ducks but my boy Allez would love to get in there (and has done - usually trying to bring more than one to me at a time) as they are a retrieve breed and he is worked, and officially should be able to retrieve from water too.  But although they like going up to their oxters and ploutering through water they don't actually like taking their feet off the floor.  Not even after swimming ducks!  However, when push comes to shove and a bird comes down over water Al is out there like a flash of greased lightening. 

If your boy doesn't like water why force him?  Do you like semolina?  No?  Does anyone force you to eat it? ;)
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

marie

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2011, 09:35:42 pm »
We have never forced him and never will. I just wandered if it was just him or if any others had come across it. Other people i talk to with labradors all say theres loves the water. I'm quite happy for him to stay out of the water if he isnt happy. He's not a trained retrever and wont even bring a ball back when we play. If he wont do it in play I'm not going to make him. Hes just a family pet.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2011, 09:45:05 pm »
We had a lab when I was a kid and he nearly drowned before we'd had him a month.  No-one had told us that they have to be taught to swim!  I wonder whether your lad had a fright when he was a wee-un and his natural instincts have not overcome it?
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2011, 10:32:58 pm »
One of our Setters doesn't like water either - had him since he was a puppy - so we know he hasn't had a fright.  Just one of those things - his dad (who is ours) loves a good swim, while his son just paddles in the shallows.
Don't force him, if he wants to he will when he is ready  - probably when playing with other dogs - just be careful it's somewhere safe & be prepared to go in & get him out!
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

marie

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2011, 10:46:24 pm »
I had another dog years ago a collie x. He loved the water. It seemed so natural for him to swim. So this was a bit strange when we got the lab that he wouldnt even go near the water. But I'm sure he will get used to it in his own time. We dont go near water on a daily run only puddles (which he avoids if he can) He's a great dog, and we love him.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2011, 10:53:23 pm »
As I said all dogs are different.  I have five and they all have different traits.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2011, 06:21:13 am »
Yep, agree with you there Annie & I don't like semolina either  ;) ;D
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

marie

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2011, 08:09:10 am »
I thought I would update you on our lab. I took him for a walk yesterday by a river that is near to us, and I thought I would see if he would go in of his own accord. He supprised me by just going in up to his belly. I didnt make him or encourage him, he just went in without any messing. He loved it. Itss only shallow so he cant go any further than his belly. So it just proves he needed time and would go in on his own.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2011, 11:07:54 am »
I thought I would update you on our lab. I took him for a walk yesterday by a river that is near to us, and I thought I would see if he would go in of his own accord. He supprised me by just going in up to his belly. I didnt make him or encourage him, he just went in without any messing. He loved it. Itss only shallow so he cant go any further than his belly. So it just proves he needed time and would go in on his own.
And you might get to like semolina one day  ;) ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D  Very pleased fro your lad - will make the forthcoming roasting hot summer more bearable for him ;) ;D ;D :love:

robert waddell

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2011, 11:59:59 am »
are we in for the summer of 76 again annie :yum: :wave:

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2011, 12:56:52 pm »
are we in for the summer of 76 again annie :yum: :wave:
I don't have a crystal ball or a broomstick but I certainly hope so!  ;D :wave:

Sandy

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2011, 11:32:10 pm »
A male Lab we got when he was 9 mths, also only tip toed in water and watched as the other Lab jumped in, then, we went to a local loch and Ben watched as some boys went in for a swim and he follwed and went into the water, some dogs just need some extra encouragement, mostly male dogs I think as the rest of our females are in at every opertunity and Ben only gets deep into the water if its nice and warm!! Well done!!

melholly

• Joined Oct 2010
  • East Sussex
    • My Blog
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2011, 03:13:53 pm »
I've a nearly 3 year old black labrador and I envy yours for not going in water! Mine has elbow dysplasia (over bred and kicked out as a pup) and shouldn't swim for too long... he nearly drowned 2 weeks ago swimming along a Weir for over 1/4 of a mile. Whining and water going over his head. Bank too high and steep for us both. Finally got him to rest on the steep bank and then using every bit of encouragement got him out. Poor boy had to climb out literally and was shaking when he made it. The the stupid bloomin' thing jumped straight back in!! Arrgghh!!

It was VERY scary though as Horsley means the world to us. I've always had labs but he is the best fieldworker and is the best with children ever. Completely different dog outdoor to indoors. Flippin dim though! ;-)

Mx
http://selfridgestoscats.blogspot.com
http://selfridgestoscats.blogspot.com  **NOW UPDATED**
twitter - @southscouse

Sandy

« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2011, 03:50:54 pm »
Our oldest female is different outdoor and indoor, Indoors she is shy, gentle and very quiet, outside she sees other dogs off, runs as fast as she can ALL the time (hard to take photos of her) and will go into the deepest rough ground. All four labs will go into any water anytime now, its sometimes hard to find somewhere to walk were they will not find water. WHen we had our two young Labs, one could not negotiate a way out of a pond and Ben, the adult male, went to her, then walked around her and showed her the way out, is was very sweet! Hes not the best looking Lab but hes so sweet and gentle!!
« Last Edit: June 11, 2011, 03:54:27 pm by Sandy »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS