Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Orphans out!  (Read 3148 times)

Llandovery Lass

• Joined Mar 2011
Orphans out!
« on: May 02, 2011, 12:26:58 pm »
Yesterday we finished the fencing and have just let fifteen of them out. They can have the bucket night and morning for a while as their creep and hay is in the shed. I hope they will be so used to coming in and out I'll have no trouble catching any of them if I need to. Meg our Colie is very excited, will have to keep a close watch.

princesspiggy

Re: Orphans out!
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2011, 04:57:56 pm »
did u have 15 orphans?  :o

Llandovery Lass

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2011, 06:02:29 pm »
20 no ewes (it's a long story), phew, I'm hopeless, they are all back in for the night, tucking into the shepherdess, will I really be able to wean them, they were bleating as if I'd given them nothing to eat.

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2011, 07:25:40 pm »
be strong and you will know the day when they don't need milk normally a couple of weeks after you see them eating grass properly. Mine have always been between 7 and 9 weeks when the interest in the milk bucket has not been as strong so I take them to milk at night only and then a week later I phase that out. From them being young I take another bucket with me along with the milk bucket it has a coule of handfuls of creep or ewe nuts in and I shake it and call so they get used to the sound and associate it with food so I can get them in or check them. It also puts them in good stead for when they go in with the flock as that is how I bring them down to be checked.

andywalt

• Joined Aug 2010
  • kent
  • observe react administer enjoy !!
    • photos
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2011, 04:52:26 pm »
Any photos, we would all like to see them !!!  PLEASE
Suffolk x romneys and Texel X with Romney Tup, Shetlands and Southdown Tup

Crazyhorse

• Joined Apr 2011
  • Near Llandovery
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2011, 05:32:22 pm »
Llandovery Lass has asked me to post these two short clips of the wild bunch !
Lambscharging

andywalt

• Joined Aug 2010
  • kent
  • observe react administer enjoy !!
    • photos
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2011, 10:36:06 pm »
great to see a little film of them cheers !!!!
Suffolk x romneys and Texel X with Romney Tup, Shetlands and Southdown Tup

houndsfield

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2011, 12:18:07 am »
nice to hear someone else has orphans  :sheep: :sheep:, l have 40 of them my do the same, l have them out bucket morning and night and creep and water ad lib,
in at night but they are free to go out in the night if they so wish,.  :sheep: :sheep:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS