Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Eggs with no shell  (Read 3912 times)

Dizzycow

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Fife
Eggs with no shell
« on: May 01, 2011, 07:53:14 am »
Does anyone know how to help my poor Rhodie who is laying eggs (for about two weeks now) with no shell? They have access to grit, are totally free range and we haven't had this problem before. Her first egg was about an inch long and caused her to be egg bound then prolapse. Twice. Not a nice experience for me or her. She's laying normal sized eggs now, but just without the shell. I read somewhere about giving them milk, I don't know anything about this. All advice welcome!

princesspiggy

Re: Eggs with no shell
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2011, 10:37:07 am »
personally, if shes had 2 proplapses id cull her. sorry.  :wave:

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2011, 11:12:06 am »
one of my older hens 'korma' is laying shell less eggs from time to time. some would cull her but she's kind of a pet, first hen we ever had so we are soft on her.
if you have had an egg bound girl that's prolapsed twice and is now still having laying problems though, its probably worth wondering what kindest for her?
I do feed my chickens goats milk from the goat, I have a maiden milker currently who I am just easing some milk from her udder to keep her comfy as her yeild not that good. not sure if cow's milk any good though? they like cheese too though. 
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2011, 11:34:56 am »
The eggs without shells are called lash eggs.

It sounds as if she has some internal damage which is causing the problem, rather than a deficiency of calcium. You can still use lash eggs if you can collect them before they break.  You can have fun with lash eggs - hand one to someone unsuspecting: 'close your eyes and hold out your hand' - they feel horrible  :o
Maybe shell-less eggs are all she can produce and she would prolapse again if she laid one with a shell.  If she was mine and was in no discomfort I would keep her on - but then I'm a total softie with my hens  :D :chook:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Dizzycow

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Fife
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2011, 11:46:48 am »
So perhaps she'll never lay one with a shell? Unfortunately I can't tell which one she is - the rhodies all look the same and the shell-less egg is laid at night. The prolapses were the result of her first egg, as she hasn't had another I'm not worried about that. All the chickens seem perfectly happy so I'd rather try to find a solution to the shell situation than cull a healthy and happy bird. I've put a bowl of milk out, none of the chickens has so much as glanced at it! The shell-less eggs are a bit creepy, aren't they?

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2011, 12:06:38 pm »
very wobbly!! FW, you are funny!! in fact I did hand this jelly like one to my mum this morning (hoping she woudlnt' squeeze too hard lol)
not sure what to say about them not drinking the milk, mine run to it and guzzle. perhaps mix up some sloppy redybrek?
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

manian

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2011, 12:10:02 pm »
mine occaisionally lay lash eggs, and they are weird........
also love porrige- esp on the colder days (seem a long time ago now ;)  )
if shes happy and healthy then i would also keep her, and i agree prolapses are deffo not a pretty sight or pleasant for all concerned

Dizzycow

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Fife
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2011, 01:18:28 pm »
Porridge it is! Thank you everyone.  :wave:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2011, 03:43:45 pm »
Bread soaked in milk to get them used to the taste, once they 'twig' they'll guzzle the milk right down.  Mine love cow's milk, whey, cream, anything dairy. 

I worked on a farm in Wales once where they used skimmed milk as part of the choox diet.  The farm grew oats so all stock ate oats, but as oats are apparently a little low in protein for hens the milk made up the difference.  And of course gave calcium for egg shells too.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2011, 04:15:16 pm »
we actually noticed that when we started using our excess goats milk for the chooks, the shells were harder than theyd ever been on oyster shell grit.  So of course when I started the soap business and kind of needed the milk (oops) the shells actually got more brittle again...now they get goats milk, I have less to 'play' with in my soap mind you  ;)

Dizzycow

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Fife
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2011, 04:19:06 pm »
Have just given them stale baguette soaked in milk (pampered beasts!) so hopefully things may improve in the shell department. The only problem is that I have loads of chickens and cockerels - they'll all have to get special treatment!  ::)

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2011, 10:42:30 am »
I have one duck that produces very thin shells and every now and then I find a skin only, no shell. They all eat the same. I hope your special treatment works, keep us posted! :chook: :&>

Dizzycow

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Fife
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2011, 10:46:59 am »
My duck's shells are also pretty thin, will give them some milky mash too!  :&>

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS