Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Advice needed please  (Read 8234 times)

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
Advice needed please
« on: April 30, 2011, 11:19:37 pm »
Not a nice topic but my old Choccie  lab had a really really bad bout of constipation this week that needed the vet to sedate her and manually evacuate her.. Not nice for her or them. Concerning thing is now she's bleeding from behind, vet says it's due to ulceration and stripping of the Rectal lining so she's on abs and a pro biotic paste but does anyone have any tips on how we can restore her lining? I'm really concerned despite the vet saying don't worry.. She is eating and seems fine in herself but bleeding is not good so I want to get her sorted asap. Anyone any advice?

Sandy

Re: Advice needed please
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2011, 11:30:53 pm »
I suppose it is like humans, the linning should repair fairly quickly if not infected, just be careful to keep her off bones that are edable and maybe a bit of oily fish in the diet. They can also get consitpated when thier anal gland block and that can be due to too soft poo, I hated it when we had to manualy empty the glands on a lab I had  years ago. Remember, I am no expert just understand a little!!! I also can understand how worried you are.

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2011, 12:05:54 am »
Thanks sandy. I am very worried about her..she's my baby and it's distressing that she's bleeding like this, a friend recommended rice pudding so I'll give her some of that tomorrow.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2011, 09:27:33 am »
If it's a diet problem, has the vet not recommended any particular diet?

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2011, 01:44:13 pm »
I posted then Firefox crashed.  If she is bleeding a lot you MUST ask your vet to advise you.  If it is just a little then it is capillaries around the ulcerated sections of her bowl and they will heal in time.  Hard or extremely soft stools will  hinder the healing process so try to keep her stable - don't change her diet much. If she likes yogurt then give her that it will help put the natural balance back in her stomach and bowel.  If you are confident in your vet, and he is confident in his treatment then you must trust him.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2011, 07:25:27 pm »
Thanks both, she's loads better today the vet was absolutely correct and she's only passing a very little bit of blood in her stool today. She loves yoghurt Annue so I've given her some natural yoghurt with a little clear honey. She seems to be fine now let's just hope it doesn't happen again.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2011, 07:29:00 pm »
What is her normal diet?  You may have to introduce foods to keep her regular.  Oil usually helps.  All my dogs have a little sunflower oil in their food and have superb coats and no problems with their tums.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2011, 07:32:30 pm »
She's on a low cal dried feed which we soak before giving to her. She's never had any problems before. I'll add a little sunflower oil to her food good idea thanks.

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2011, 09:22:14 pm »
poor girl, hope she's better soon.
If you're making rice pudding etc, try it with goats milk rather than cow's - its gentler on the stomach (less lactose) & less fattening
:)
Little Blue

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2011, 09:41:53 pm »
Thanks LB will try that. I love goats milk so have some in. I'm relieved the bleeding seems to have all but stopped now and she's fine in herself.. Was so worried about her.

Sandy

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2011, 10:31:03 pm »
One of my Labs is sick when given cow's milk but fine on goats. Horrid to see your pets unwell and having 4 Labs, one a chocolate one, I sympathise. I am currently feeding up our eldest female after haveing a litter of pups, they are all gone now but I felt she needed some extra food so give her, some scrambled egg in the morning and a few sardines in oil some nights, she looks heaps better now, hope things continue to get better, just like children, animals are a worry to us too!

melholly

• Joined Oct 2010
  • East Sussex
    • My Blog
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2011, 03:16:27 pm »
Cod liver oil each day for as long as...chicken/fish and rice once a week. I've had a lab before with similar age probs and that's what my vet recommended for her.

Mx
http://selfridgestoscats.blogspot.com
http://selfridgestoscats.blogspot.com  **NOW UPDATED**
twitter - @southscouse

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2011, 01:34:46 pm »
She seems fine now thankfully. Cost a small fortune to get her right tho.

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2011, 10:24:04 pm »
that's good news Helen.   ....thats she's better, not that it cost you!!   just had to pay off the last £12 at our vets - they were threatening debt collectors!

how are you & your ankle now?
:wave:
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 10:25:49 pm by little blue »
Little Blue

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2011, 08:33:19 pm »
Yes I'm pleased she's all better thanks. I'm doing good thank you the ankle is much better just spent 10 days in Crete lying on a sun lounger which was fab! How are you doing?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS