Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: We are very pleased with our Texel x Romney ewe lambs, will keep for breeding  (Read 5066 times)

andywalt

• Joined Aug 2010
  • kent
  • observe react administer enjoy !!
    • photos
Just thought I would post a few photos of these lambs, we hope they will be good ewes in a few years time, any comments welcomed !!
Suffolk x romneys and Texel X with Romney Tup, Shetlands and Southdown Tup

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
They look great, I'd keep them for breeding too!
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
Tidy pair of girls - definately got the potential to make good mums - what Ram will you cross them with?
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

andywalt

• Joined Aug 2010
  • kent
    • photos
well what tup to cross with them, thats the question, i think it will have to be a texel, I will have to change my tup by then in another years time, also have a south down that may be interesting.......what would you cross them with?

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
I suppose it depends on your market - early finishers or flavour (sorry never had a high opinion of Texels)  The South Down cross would definately be an interesting one ...
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
early finishers or flavour (sorry never had a high opinion of Texels) 

Well we tried a Charollais tup for the first time last year and found the lambs to finish really well, early, lean - and with a tremendous taste, really succulent and sweet.  Our texel lamb has slightly more fat cover (still very lean but a layer of fat covering the chops even when finished early), is very tender but does not, to our mind, have anything like the flavour and succulence of the Charollais.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

andywalt

• Joined Aug 2010
  • kent
    • photos
thanks for your tips its always interesting, If I put a romney back on them they wouldnt really get the best meat carcass would they? in my eyes the Romney makes a great ewe but what about eating them?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS