Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Fruit and hens  (Read 5496 times)

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Fruit and hens
« on: March 03, 2011, 07:49:33 pm »
We had an idea to plant a fruit orchard and run our laying hens underneath  - hens get shade, bugs and grass; trees get to be bugfree and fertilised. Sounded to good to be true and seems it is. We've been told that we can't sell fruit for eating because of possible contamination of the fruit by poultry faeces (same would apply to grazing sheep under the trees).

Anyone have any further information?

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Fruit and hens
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2011, 08:20:07 pm »
I suppose the authorities would be concerned that you might pick up fruit from the ground to sell.  Can't see how it could be come contaminated otherwise unless your layers are likely to roost in the trees - which I suppose could happen. ::)
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Sandy

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2011, 09:35:33 pm »
Well I never ::) My "Orchard" is in with the chickens, mind you, the fruit is just for us but?????? Never gave that one a thought and like you, chickens ruin plants so having ruiting trees seems the ideal!!

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2011, 08:35:50 am »
Running chickens in my orchard was part of my plan too ???  The veg beds are in there along one side and in winter the chucks would get to weed the place, eat any fallen fruit leftover and keep the gravel bits tidy before they got moved for summer to keep the veggies safe - but I was hoping to sell spare fruit/veg so perhaps not then :(

What about the fact I have free ranging cats tho?  Presumably they might pee in the soil too ::)
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

BlueDaisy

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Grow your own - veg and chooks!
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2011, 08:54:49 am »
And why aren't they worried about wild birds/foxes/rabbits/rats etc - don't they contaminate anything?
OMG, that's so ludicrous!
ANd it sounds like a great way to utilise an area of land, I love dual-purpose and 2-for-1 ideas! :)

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2011, 08:59:05 am »
There's something to do with when you take the livestock out prior to harvesting but I don't know what it is and am hoping someone here will or I'll try EHO.

But if you have to take them out say six weeks before harvest plus harvest time, where do you put them?

Seemed a good way to get a better income from the piece of land.

Funny you can sell apples that have been sprayed 50 times with a chemical cocktail  :(

If anyone else knows the score, I'd be obliged if you'd share it.

BlueDaisy

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Grow your own - veg and chooks!
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2011, 09:04:49 am »
Who told you that you couldn't sell because of contamination?
Where did they get their info? Are they a reliable trusted source?

Andrew

• Joined Dec 2007
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2011, 09:10:44 am »
Could you get the chickens to wear pampers? ;D

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2011, 07:34:27 pm »
It was mentioned at a local orchard forum   that's the problem, I can't remember where I heard it.

I'll email the chair of the group. Our local winery won't take windfall fruit from orchards with livestock.

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2011, 02:57:32 pm »
How bazzare, but it's ok for you to buy your food sold in cardboard leaching chemicals  ::)
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

Sandy

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2011, 10:56:55 pm »
I say cut the budget to all scientists, even though my daughter is one!!! they are the problem, ignorance is bliss.....did people really live longer and healthier lifestyles that we will with all our pollutants or will we all be killed off by the stress of not knowing what to do!!

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2011, 11:02:49 pm »
No Sandy - we'll just all starve to death  :'(

The scientists dictate how we can grow/raise our food & the supermarkets would rather landfill than let us have/pay for out of date fruit & veg  >:( (for our stock that is  ;D )

Stop, I wanna get off  ::)
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

Blonde

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2011, 12:46:31 pm »
 I would run chickens under my fruit trees but ......what I would do is run wire on the top of the ground to stop the chickens from digging up the ground and hence the roots.   there is nothing to say you cnnot sell your fruit privately.  If the supermarkets dont want them that is there loss .........considering all the sprays and chemicals that  go on them no matter where you live in this world.  What about the roo poo and emu poo that is left behind after they have gone in for a feed during the night.  What a but the cockies that take a bit out of an apple and then  move on to the next fruit and do the same they dont condem the whole tree....... the fruit  is picked packed and sent to market and if it  passes in to grade one the fruit it is exported to any where int he world. :wave:

wildgeese

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2011, 10:13:34 pm »
Hi everyone. My first post on here. I too am considering running poultry under fruit trees. Its worth checking out these guidelines:

http://www.taysidebiodiversity.co.uk/Projects/Orchards/PDFs/Traditional_Orchards_In_Tayside.pdf

The relevant bit is:

"If the orchard produce is to be sold or used for human consumption,
it is essential to remove livestock at least two months before the fruit is harvested;
windfalls must not be included. This will ensure that e-coli bacteria are not present on
the fruit."

Of course this makes things difficult, but not impossible. For what its worth I think this is a sensible rule; just basic hygiene, really. but I say that having been offered windfalls on an orchard open day where the ground was peppered with dog sh*t from the family's pet pooches. Sort of put it in perspective for me.

I think there was an attempt, though, to bring in a ruling where livestock were not to enter an orchard at all; this would make sense for the big producers who grow apple trees like raspberry canes but would be a body blow for traditional orchard owners; so I do feel we shouldn't flout these guidelines; there is too much scope for them to be tightened up to our detriment. 

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS