Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Do I help turkey hatch ????  (Read 2817 times)

Wayside

• Joined Jan 2010
Do I help turkey hatch ????
« on: April 29, 2011, 10:38:37 am »
I have had 7 out of 10 Turkeys hatch, 1 of them tho has pipped its shell, probably about 3mm hole, but nothing has happened for about 15 Hours. They were hatched in a incubator. I have checked just now and i can see its beak move through the hole but I feel time is running out for it. Should I help, and if so How ?????

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
Re: Do I help turkey hatch ????
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2011, 02:58:48 pm »
Sometimes they can tire out and not hatch but die trying. It is worth having a go but the shell may have dried onto the chick so be careful. You can try a bit of warm water on cotton wool to loosen this. I find they never do well though as it will be a weak one but have a go and give it a chance. If it does not straighten and just struggle bent up on the brooder botom dispatch it as it was not meant to be . If it does come round all well and good.

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2011, 06:09:43 pm »
Not hatched-out turkeys, but have had incubated chicken eggs ..

Good advice from Hermit - we've had the same problem a few times with chicks - they never make it, even with the extra help.

You could be lucky - no harm in trying - sorry, wish I could be more positive.
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

Llandovery Lass

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2011, 05:19:21 pm »
Give him a drink off the end of your finger and pick very carefully, I have had a sucessful chick even though I doubted its chances

princesspiggy

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2011, 05:53:18 pm »
keeping the humidity up helps stop them drying, but the first chicks out seem stronger. id help him abit as long as no blood and leave his "umbilical" attached to eggshell to break himself, then hope. some just die anyway. we had one die in the shell this season, was fine and chirpy when pipping but dead, unhatched in morn. shame.

Wayside

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2011, 12:57:25 pm »
Thanks for the advice everybody.

I did help, but as expected he did not make it.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS