Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: tics  (Read 2975 times)

ATF

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Fife
tics
« on: April 28, 2011, 08:15:38 pm »
our long haired, three legged, cat has started picking up tics, we removed 6 from her yesterday (she had been out for the last three days) one as big as a chickpea.

any tips to stop her picking them up?

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
Re: tics
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2011, 08:23:27 pm »
super-strong frontline (I think it is) has a chemical that does for tics.... hang on and check what it says on my packet!
Little Blue

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2011, 08:27:42 pm »
yep - frontline plus.
Little Blue

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2011, 10:27:13 pm »
And don't wait the full length of time it says it lasts for.  Re-dose about 2 to 4 days before it runs out
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

ambriel

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Kinlochbervie, NW Sutherland, Scotland
  • Mad, bad, and dangerous to know!
    • Harbour Cottage
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2011, 10:44:42 pm »

Thanks for that. Round here there are a lot of sheep that roam loose round the village. As a result out cats and dog have been picking the nasty little beasties up on a regular basis. I'll nag the vet on Wednesday.

Trod on one that had dropped off the other day. Yuk!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2011, 11:21:45 pm »

Trod on one that had dropped off the other day. Yuk!
That'll teach you to wear slippers! ;) ;D
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

NormandyMary

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2011, 05:10:37 pm »
Tics are such a pain, but luckily only one of my 3 moggies gets them. Freddie who is a very long haired tabby. I think its because he goes wandering more than the two girls, and the fact that he is long haired too. I use Frontline Combo but to be honest I dont rate it much for tics OR for fleas. I dont know whether cats build up a resistance to it, Ive been using it for years. I actually think Im just going to buy the ordinary Frontline in future as its much cheaper. In the UK do you still have to go to the vets to get it the Combo? You buy it in pharmacies over here, but it is very expensive.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS