Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: chicks gone!  (Read 2892 times)

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
chicks gone!
« on: April 28, 2011, 10:49:48 am »
Tuesday night, I put 11 little chicks to bed (they haven't learnt to go in themselves yet)

Wednesday night I put 10 little chicks in (though I may have mis-counted as so many of the little b*gg*rs sneak back out!)

This morning (Thursday) I have only 8 little chicks!

I'm thinking Mr fox would have made more mess, rats most likely culprit - though all four of the cats were out all night & are doing a fine job of rodent murdering.
  The only sign of my lovely little Light sussex chicks are two white feathers and a tiny spot of blood under the ark.   :'(

So today we will move them into a hopefully more secure coop and kick the cats out again.....
this means war!   >:(
Little Blue

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: chicks gone!
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2011, 11:08:39 am »
Shame  :( It's so disheartening. Hope you eliminate the culprits.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2011, 11:11:20 am »
Do you have fine mesh covering the floor of the ark if it is an open-bottomed type?  We have had rats coming up under the floor and pulling ducklings through the mesh if it's not small enough.  Could also just possibly be a weasel which can get through the tiniest holes.  So sad.  I hope you solve the problem  :chook:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Callia

• Joined Apr 2009
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2011, 02:33:09 pm »
I would think rats too  >:(  and he will more then likely keep coming back till he has them all now !! I would bring them indoors or pop them into a secure cage/hutch at night and put some traps and poison inside the house as a treat for the rat  ;)

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2011, 03:46:47 pm »
*Update*

It IS a ****** rat - I've chased it but missed!!  The *** had three copses under the slab under the ark ... I will put poisen in them tonight (and every night until I get it!!)

The remaining chicks are now in their new home (built especially for them - when they were abit bigger)  and loving it.
The house is raised up so there is no way a rat can nest under it, and (hopefully) no access into the run ....
Little Blue

robert waddell

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2011, 05:45:56 pm »
dont underestimate the rats they are as clever as humans ;) :wave:

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2011, 09:49:23 pm »
and climb well  :-\ I'd bring them inside until you've caught/shot it!

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2011, 09:54:29 pm »
trouble is ... you get one, theres always more to take its place!

And worse - if my cats dont have any to chase, they go down to the mill & bring some home to play with!! 
Little Blue

john2708

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2011, 06:59:10 pm »
i had rats kill all my ducklings last year i had a ferret escaped from 1 village down kill all my birds but my geese most of the time i sit out and shoot the rats with the air rifle seems to scare them of for a few weeks but even then those horrible little creatures eat there dead, problem i found with poison is i would find dead rats half eat. my cat ate a rat that i had poison not a nice vets bill.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2011, 08:40:15 pm »
Don't put down poison, your cats are most likely to catch a half dead rat - and then go and die themselves. Trapping, using a terrier or just making sure your houses are safe from vermin is most likely more successful.

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2011, 09:13:28 pm »
Thats why we rarely poison.
We now have a humane rat trap (with a long string attached so we can drown the b**gers!) which will go out tonight ... I'm gonna get it, if the cats dont first!!
Little Blue

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2011, 10:48:36 am »
I found most rats too clever for the humane trap - waste of time... :&>

bamford6

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2011, 12:31:19 pm »
i had this happen to me i spent weeks with traps guns etc i finaley got 11 ..i naw slab underneath the pens

princesspiggy

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2011, 01:35:01 pm »
sounds like an excuse to get a good terrier pup  ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS