Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Which is the better option?  (Read 1816 times)

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
Which is the better option?
« on: April 26, 2011, 09:18:23 pm »
Up till now we have brought our lambs on and then when they are big enough, we send them to the abbatoir and sell some of the meat to cover our abbatoir and butchery costs.

This year we have 9 lambs and a friend of ours is looking to buy 3 for paddock maintenance.

So it made me wonder which we were better doing?

I'm guessing neither is 'right' or indeed 'wrong', but just wondered what people did and why?

THanks

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: Which is the better option?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2011, 09:32:04 pm »
If you are selling any for grass cutting duties they need to be castrated, and I would think wethers are the best for that job. They also seem to be a lot friendlier, will provide quite a good fleece (if they are shetlands they can also be roo-ed by someone without all the kit or a helpful shearer nearby) and won't come to the attention of any neighbouring tup.... and result in unwanted off-spring.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2011, 12:18:47 am »
Yes I agree with Anke - wethers would be best.  I suppose I'm a bit of a softie, but if there is the chance that an animal destined for slaughter can have a reprieve, then I would rather go that route.  From your point of view, if you are not making a loss by selling the sheep for mowing, then why not.  Just check that your friend knows how to care for them properly and not to overfeed with 'treats'.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2011, 10:56:42 pm »
thanks folks

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS