Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: I gave in today  (Read 3247 times)

nails

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Somerset
I gave in today
« on: April 27, 2011, 07:00:46 pm »
Hi all
Well i finally gave in to my broody girls today, they have been sitting on a nest for 10 days, i have been putting them out to eat and drink 3 times a day, i was given 10 pheasant eggs today so have given the girls 5 each and a couple of chicken eggs which i am hoping are fertile, as the ones in the inncy are. so 21 to 25 days from today they should hopefully be mummys

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: I gave in today
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2011, 07:14:41 pm »
You're so kind  ;D

nails

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Somerset
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2011, 07:26:38 pm »
lol i know just could stand seeing them sitting with no eggs under them, bless them

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2011, 09:39:41 pm »
good luck!
Little Blue

benkt

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Cambridgeshire
    • Hempsals Community Farm
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2011, 09:39:51 pm »
I had the same - just gave in to a broody who has built a nest right in the middle of the entrance to one of the sheds and sitting on it empty. I've popped a dozen eggs under her and am waiting patiently....

tazbabe

• Joined Aug 2010
  • ayrshire
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2011, 08:32:51 am »
one of my geese is sitting on an empty nest.....if i put some hen eggs under her will she sit till there hatched?
you may light another's candle from your own without loss

nails

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Somerset
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2011, 11:51:12 am »
Tazbabe How long has she been sitting? i normally watch mine for a week or so if they are insistant on sitting i then put eggs in for them, i have a goose who is sitting but i have taken her eggs away, you can only but try her and see how she goes, i have found that geese tend to move away from there nests to eat drink and do the other where as chickens just seem to stay put

tazbabe

• Joined Aug 2010
  • ayrshire
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2011, 02:14:23 pm »
she's been sitting for about 10 days, only comes out in the morning for a wash, then straight back in there. i have been putting food beside her, which she is eating. i've had a sneaky peek when she's out, and the nest is deffo empty.

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2011, 06:23:00 pm »
Is it ok to mix the eggs like that? :-\
Just thinking - chucks take 21 days & pheasys 25 - or am I just being a bit  :dunce:
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

nails

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Somerset
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2011, 10:44:32 am »
Nope your right chooks 21 pheasents 25, if the chooks hatch will take the pheasant eggs out and finish them in the inncy, had i thought about it i should have put the chook eggs in 4 days later but its no hassle.

tazbabe

• Joined Aug 2010
  • ayrshire
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2011, 10:40:07 am »
well, i have given the goose 5 hen eggs, lets see what happens now!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2011, 09:14:33 pm »
so long as the goose doesn't like swimming they should be OK ;) ;D ;D ;D  Piccies when they hatch please ;D
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS