Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: spinning tops or wheels?  (Read 6587 times)

shearling

• Joined Mar 2011
spinning tops or wheels?
« on: June 10, 2011, 10:14:53 pm »
Well, I have now bought a new 'posh' spindle. Thanks to Fleesewife's advice I bought some ready made fibre. I have now, successfully spun a bit of yarn (about two foot). It has been slowly made but is strong and consistent in size. I found it easier to spin and make my own leader rather than use made yarn as I could not get the hang of attaching my fibre to it. I can now park and draft but am still finding it hardest to attach new fibre. Love the feel of the fibre in my finger tips and the success of it, although small amount. I tend to flick rather than spin the spindle. My question is...how much faster or better are spinning wheel? Do you use the same techniques

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: spinning tops or wheels?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2011, 12:00:22 am »
Oooh - exciting  :) :)

A wheel is much quicker to spin with as the two processes - making the yarn and winding it on - are done at the same time, and you don't have to keep rehitching the yarn onto the spindle as with spindling.  However, there are times and places where taking a wheel are not appropriate, and you cannot walk and spin a wheel, whereas you can walk and spin using a spindle.

Joining on new yarn is definitely easier with a wheel - or at least I find it so  ::). Because wool fibres have tiny hooks on, you can use this to your advantage when joining.  Have the spun yarn on the wheel bobbin turning then hold the new carded fleece next to it - the rotating yarn will pick up the fleece and join hook to hook and suddenly your old and new bits are joined (sometimes I find I have to give the twist a bit of a boost by turning it with my fingers too).  It is very difficult to decscribe but magical when it happens. Of course if you are practising, then the yarn on the bobbin will become horribly overspun until you get it right - but you will learn the trick.  With a spindle I always feel I need a couple of extra hands to do this, one of them to hold the unspun fleece out of the way  ;D ;D

The thing with the leader is because bought yarn is plied, whereas you are spinning singles.  Singles is spun in one direction, plied yarn in the opposite. It is much better to spin your own bit of leader, and you can quickly do this by catching some fibre onto the hook at the top/bottom of the spindle, drawing out and twisting a short length slowly, then spin as much as you need in the same way as you would spin normally, but with the yarn coming from the hook. When you have enough, take it off the hook and tie it to the spindle as usual.

To get a smooth spin on the spindle, run it up your leg - this only really works if you are wearing tight trousers or leggings  :D  Different spindles will spin for different lengths of time, depending on how well balanced they are.

I do hope you are having fun  :wave:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Shnoowie

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Cornwall
    • Binty's Farm
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2011, 11:42:50 pm »
I'm in the same position as Shearling.  I started using a drop spindle yesterday and am addicted!  Just as well, as we have 11 Ryeland fleeces this year!  I feel I would be more controlled on a spinning wheel (I am still making progress with the spindle!); having looked at types and price I am stumped - what do you use, Fleecewife?

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2011, 01:52:27 am »
Oh I'm an adict  ;D ;D  I have three wheels and loads of spindles of various types.  I started, wheelwise, with an Ashford Traditional with Scotch Tension and single treadle.  They are not expensive and can be bought second hand through a local Guild or on the Loom Exchange (go for a double treadle if you can as the single wears out one leg and leaves the other hanging around with nothing to do).  Then I found I was doing demos so I got an Ashford Traveller, again with Scotch Tension but double treadle, which is smaller and neater and fits on the back seat of the car, nicely tucked into it's safety belt  ::).  For a big birthday my OH treated me to a Lendrum Saxony from Canada - this is a big beautiful wheel with double drive and double treadle and I absolutely love it, although it's too big really for my little house, and rather complicated to get the hang of tensioning it at first, with the different system.
Lendrum also do a folding wheel which is very popular and easy to spin with, Ashford do a posh wheel called Elizabeth.  There are loads of makes of spinning wheel available now, whereas when I started there only seemed to be Ashford and antique ones which never work properly unless you know absolutely what you are doing.
For learning I think you are best to stick to something simple such as the Ashford wheels, then when you improve you can sell that one on and buy the wheel of your dreams  :love:  But of course everyone has their favourite wheel and will defend it against all odds - just as with sheep breeds, dog breeds etc etc  ;D
Shnoowie it sounds as if you really do need a wheel  :) if you are to get through all those fleeces this year

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2011, 11:40:46 am »
The standard(folding) Lendrum wheel is absolutely faboulous, that's what I got. Nice modern look to it too. But it will take absolutely ages to arrive(Made in Canada), and there is only one supplier in the UK, I think it's .... oh no gone.... brain I mean... it will come to me. Google it.

Shnoowie

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Cornwall
    • Binty's Farm
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2011, 02:30:10 pm »
Is it P&M Woolcraft, Anke?
I have found a wheel, but apparently it needs a service; the lady selling it says the wheel will need re-balancing and the drive belt replacing.  Where could I get this done, and any idea of cost? 

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2011, 04:20:11 pm »
I've got a folding Lendrum too  :) and have just been to my local-ish spinning group, where it was by far the most common wheel there. The lady who is the 'expert spinner' according to everyone else, said she rated hers and would have bought something else if she had found it didn't serve her well, so I was reassured. I bought a bag for mine and it did make it very easy to carry about (unlike my Mum's Ashford Elizabeth which I also ended up carrying for her  :D)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2011, 07:02:43 pm »
Is it P&M Woolcraft, Anke?
I have found a wheel, but apparently it needs a service; the lady selling it says the wheel will need re-balancing and the drive belt replacing.  Where could I get this done, and any idea of cost? 
Yes, P&M Woolcraft down just north of London - they are very friendly and helpful and knowledgeable.  My Lendrum Saxony took many months to arrive as they are made to order, but the folding one shouldn't take quite so long  ::)

What make is the wheel you have found Shnoowie?  I don't understand the bit about the wheel needing rebalancing - that's a car and bicycle thing not spinning wheels. It does imply though that the whole wheel is a bit wonky and hasn't been looked after well.  A service is nothing, should just be oiling (which you should do every few days anyway) and maybe checking over everything is tight (or loose where it should be loose).
The drive band can be something as simple as kitchen string - the fine white stuff, cut to length anbd tied with a flat knot.  However, the best drive band for a Scotch tension wheel is made of clear stretchy plasticky stuff which you weld together by heating the two ends with a flame then pushing them together - it works beautifully.   Most spinning suppliers should stock it (sorry I don't know what it's called) - they will just need to know the type of wheel to send you the right length.  It costs about £2.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2011, 10:36:37 pm »
Re wheel needing a service - ask a few more questions, for example, where/how was the wheel stored (wood dried out for example if stored in sunny conservatory, woodworm?), how old, when last used etc etc. I am personally very wary of secondhand wheels for beginners, especially if they have been out of use for a while - but when you go and look at it, take someone who knows about them along too.

And yes it's P&M Woolcraft!

On the rare occasions that I travel with it (no time to go to spinning meetings regularly), mine travels well in the boot of estate car.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2011, 01:52:34 am »
Re wheel needing a service - ask a few more questions, for example, where/how was the wheel stored (wood dried out for example if stored in sunny conservatory, woodworm?), how old, when last used etc etc. I am personally very wary of secondhand wheels for beginners, especially if they have been out of use for a while - but when you go and look at it, take someone who knows about them along too.

I second that  :)

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2011, 07:51:32 am »
I initially bought a second-hand wheel from the auction room. A double drive it turned out. I couldn't make any progress. Maybe one day, when I can spin properly, I'll be able to use it. I treated myself to the Lendrum and am now finally learning to spin  :)

eBay is full of second hand wheels but I think if you buy known makes (ie Ashford) you might be OK, at least you can get spare parts.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2011, 11:48:00 am »
Often the local guild will have wheels that can be borrowed by new members to learn to spin, or some of the really keen spinners have a spare wheel that they may be able to lend to someone. I initially learned on two wheels from the guild, one Ashford Traveller and a home-made up-right wheel, where the actual wheel was made of an old table... did work very well though.

Then when I knew that spinning was something I would be doing a lot of I convinced my OH that only the Lendrum will do....

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS