Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sheep grazing where pigs have been  (Read 2521 times)

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
Sheep grazing where pigs have been
« on: April 27, 2011, 02:22:44 pm »
Hi I ma struggling for grazing thanks to this dry spell! I have a small paddock which had 2 adult pigs in last summer, will it be safe for the sheep? I am concerned that the copper in pig feed/manure could be in the ground? anyone know anymore info? thanks :sheep:

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
Re: Sheep grazing where pigs have been
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2011, 02:46:41 pm »
Thank you, I thought maybe if I put them in there for a week or 2 to give them some fresh grass, in the meantime I am waiting for rain so I can fertilise the rest of it, if it will ever rain again!!

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2011, 03:14:30 pm »
Some sheep are more susceptible to copper than others, texels are particularly susceptible, which makes them popular in these parts where we are desperately deficient in it.

I don't know about sheep following pigs but generally isn't it a good idea to rotate, as each species then nullifies the worms and so on of the previous?
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2011, 03:32:05 pm »
If the grass has grown back after the pigs then most of the manure etc will have worked into the land also. It must have been a good number of months since the pigs were there for the grass to have grown back enough to graze sheep on it

poppajohn

• Joined Apr 2011
  • Fenland
  • Grass cutting, what old fellers do!
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2011, 03:56:52 pm »
Should be fine, just worm in case. Coppers necessary anyway as are so many other things!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS