Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Bazadaise Cattle?  (Read 4725 times)

sc12011

• Joined May 2011
Bazadaise Cattle?
« on: May 23, 2011, 02:34:20 pm »
Hi there, ive recently come across this breed, whilst researching which breed to get for my first calves.

Ive heard they are quite hardy, do well on just grass and can be kept outdoor all winter.

Does anyone have any experience with them, good or bad?

thankyou  ;D

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Bazadaise Cattle?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2011, 03:14:59 pm »
See this I posted on your other thread (scroll down to the last few paras for the Bazadaise bit)

http://www.accidentalsmallholder.net/forum/index.php?topic=15424.msg149126#msg149126
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

belgianblue

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2011, 06:52:53 pm »
i hear that the breed can be quiet screwy, and this info has come from commercial farmers, try parthenaise

sc12011

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2011, 07:41:26 pm »
belgianblue -  im guessing that means their temperament is not the easiest? thanks for the tip!

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2011, 11:29:31 pm »
Well I wouldn't want to damn the whole breed, and we have had some that have been incredibly laid back.  I have no personal experience of loopy Bazadaises.  (Whereas I can tell stories about Charolais and Limousin stirks...)  However I do hear about some Bazadaise bulls that give rise to rather 'sensitive' calves - ie, they react badly to noise, sticks, etc.  Maybe we shouldn't blame them for that, but when you can be working with breeds that will pretty much placidly go wherever you point them, why give ourselves the grief of ones that will charge around risking injury to themselves and the humans around them?

I think with any continental non-dairy breed it is wise to make sure you have seen the animal out of its comfort zone - easy if you buy them at the auction - watch the vendor with them in the ring, you'll soon see how quiet or otherwise they are!

And even with an Angus or Hereford cross, unless you are buying them from the dairy farmer and he/she tells you it's from a dairy cow, you don't know what breed(s) are in the mix from the mother's side.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Bioman

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2011, 09:37:03 pm »
As a rule any continental beef breed, has an air of madness. Limousin having a very bad reputation until a few years ago when they started trying to breed it out. But throw backs are common.

belgianblue

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2011, 04:09:23 pm »
in the past we have used the red genetic lim and yes they are loopy and would jump an 6 ft gate,

we have also used the black genetic lim and yes they are quiet and calm and have kept an couple of heifers.

dillon

• Joined Mar 2010
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2011, 10:16:28 pm »
all depends on handling as with all livestiock :cow:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS