Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: ewes tail up but no waterbags showing yet !! any advice please  (Read 2144 times)

andywalt

• Joined Aug 2010
  • kent
  • observe react administer enjoy !!
    • photos
Can I please ask for your advise ?  one of our last ewes to lamb, a texel, she is waddling along with a large udder and her tail is up but no water bags showing or any wetness, whats the best thing to do? she looks fine in herself, relaxed grazing in close field, should I leave her to lamb herself? or as she has her tail up is that a sign that something should be happening? she has been like this for two days, shes swollen  at the rear, pink, but nothing showing at all?  any advice please?
Suffolk x romneys and Texel X with Romney Tup, Shetlands and Southdown Tup

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: ewes tail up but no waterbags showing yet !! any advice please
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2011, 12:57:07 am »
That's a hard one to call without seeing the sheep.  Most likely there's nothing wrong and she'll lamb herself as soon as you stop watching her!  If there's no matter, no blood or other fluid, she's not straining and she's eating and cudding - and sleeping - normally, then I don't think I would be concerned.  Some of my Texel and Beltex cross sheep get swollen and pink several days before starting to lamb - but since you have asked the question it would seem that yours do not usually do this. 

Do you have a date for when she must have lambed by?  (Ie, 148 days or whatever your gestation is after the tup was removed.)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

andywalt

• Joined Aug 2010
  • kent
  • observe react administer enjoy !!
    • photos
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2011, 08:08:25 am »
I thought that she was due with the last batch, but she prob has returned on season and will be 17 days later than the others which is about now, she has no fluids or anything behind, so thanks will keep checking hopfully it will happen soon.

thanks for your time
Suffolk x romneys and Texel X with Romney Tup, Shetlands and Southdown Tup

shearling

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2011, 12:16:07 pm »
We had a similar thing with our last waddler (Portland) who took the best part of a week to get on with it (a gimmer) And I thought she should had podded two weeks ago. She managed it a couple of days ago

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2011, 12:45:45 pm »
" A watched pot never boils  " :wave:

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2011, 02:46:09 pm »
I have one that always lambs a week after everyone has finished and she always looks like she is about to explode and carries her tail high for about a week before she gets on with it

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS