Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Shearing and Showing  (Read 2208 times)

Shnoowie

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Cornwall
    • Binty's Farm
Shearing and Showing
« on: April 25, 2011, 03:54:34 pm »
Have decided that we need to get a shearer in to do our show girls ready for the Royal Cornwall.  I've found a chap who can leave about an inch of wool on the girls so they still have some cover and protection. The Royal Cornwall is 8th June.  Would a shear now give them enough growth for showing or would it be better with a trim?

Help!

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
    • Viable Self Sufficiency.co.uk
Re: Shearing and Showing
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2011, 06:43:14 pm »
It depends - by the 8th June, you might find, if you don't shear them, they are all dropping their wool and will have bare patches by the time you get to the show. Alot of ours are starting to drop their wool already.

If you do shear them, try to leave some wool on them, but it will still leave lines which will need time to grow out and the sheep will then need to be trimmed. You may be at a disadvantage compared to those that planned to show months ago and so, sheared their sheep in January. Still, a good judge will look though this to the sheep below.

Tough decision for you, but on balance, I think I would shear them AS SOON AS POOSIBLE - like tonight if you can!!

We have two lots of sheep going to the smallholders festival in four weeks time - on lot have to be shown shorn. We sheared around the 7th Feb. The others have to be shown in full fleece, and we will spend the next four weeks tearing our hair out in the hope that their wool won't fall out.
The SHEEP Book for Smallholders
Available from the Good Life Press

www.viableselfsufficiency.co.uk

shearling

• Joined Mar 2011
Re: Shearing and Showing
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2011, 08:10:55 pm »
gosh, all sound so tricky. Portlands have to be shown in their 'working clothes' not sure which is harder? Good luck with te show though.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS