Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: My frustrating Indian Runners!  (Read 6332 times)

melholly

• Joined Oct 2010
  • East Sussex
    • My Blog
My frustrating Indian Runners!
« on: April 24, 2011, 10:22:56 pm »
Dear all,

I wonder if anyone can shed some light onto why my ducks have stopped laying. I have 2 females and 1 male, had them for around 8 weeks. The girls started laying within a week but around the banks of the pond and we kept losing them to magpies, jackdaws etc. Cue great test of sanity and patience trying to get them into the duck house. Girls cottoned onto this quickly, my drake was having none of it and we went thru a week or so of him sleeping 'rough' , girls in the house, 1 or 2 eggs each morning. Then a new phase happened where my drake started going mad at the girls for going in the pen area surrounding their house. Whatever he said it stressed girls out and one stopped laying, her behaviour changed in that she was always alone and has become v timid. The latest phase I am in however is my drake now deciding life in the duck is ok after all and each night for last week and a bit he has merrily led the girls in for the night. All safe but NO EGGS!! Not morning, noon or night. I'm pretty sure they are not being taken again during the day as usually the birds leave the shells across the field etc!

Any ideas - please??!!

Mx
http://selfridgestoscats.blogspot.com  **NOW UPDATED**
twitter - @southscouse

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: My frustrating Indian Runners!
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2011, 11:09:58 pm »
Sounds like they have been stressed by something - your drake has anyway and he is telling the girls about it.  I'm fairly sure they'll come back in lay again after a few days.  Can you keep them in a run for a day or two to settle them down again?  Could there be a fox about?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Callia

• Joined Apr 2009
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2011, 08:50:42 am »
I wonder if perhaps he is pestering the girls a little too much when he is in the house with them maybe ?? I have found drakes to be very demanding of their girls and have had to cut mine down to around 4-6 girls per drake, to keep the girls (and him  ;D) happy. I had problems trying to get them in at night when there were too many boys so they obviously werent happy. 

melholly

• Joined Oct 2010
  • East Sussex
    • My Blog
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2011, 07:44:21 pm »
Hello again,
Yes I agree the fox thing did cross my mind as we have evidence of one laying outside their pond area (pond area netted off and electrocuted) and eating his dinner in front of my duck house!! During the phase where my drake didn't go into the house perhaps he's been seeing fox whereas my girls have been tucked up safely.

Agree also with the attentions comment! My drake is a bit of a lover and forever dunking them under water!! Perhaps I need a few more girls to help my current 2!!

It's just really frustrating as I thought them all being together at night would please the girls and help them lay. They do have a little pen area but it took my drake literally 2 full weeks to even go into that area despite it being the only area I was dishing out food in!

My girls are making beautiful nests in the house but no eggs!!

Mx
http://selfridgestoscats.blogspot.com  **NOW UPDATED**
twitter - @southscouse

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2011, 09:29:47 pm »
My Swedish Blue drake now has four girls - the fact teat three of them are his daughters doesn't appear to have deterred his amorous intentions to girls.  Yes, I would think you definitely need more girls.  I have heard of female ducks drowning while their husbands have been paying them just a little too much attention.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2011, 09:36:39 pm »
same thought here! 4 to 1 is a good ratio, girls get stressed out by too much attention (see Annie's post). Any chance they might be hiding eggs somewhere? I find mine in the tiniest places, no idea how any duck got in there! They get crafty when broody... :&>

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2011, 10:33:37 pm »
I will be interested to see what happens tomorrow morning!!!  My naughty 5 year old Brittany, Allez managed to paw open the gate to the duck run, and my attention was drawn when I heard the girls quacking angrily.  He had one in his mouth and was desperately trying to pin another one down so he could get a hold of it too.  I managed to calm him down enough to get him to bring it to me and he no sooner dropped it in my hand but he was off after them again.  He went into their shed which fortunately had the roof open for airing, so I reached down, grabbed his collar and pulled him up, yelling 'drop it' as I lifted.  He has been obsessed by ducks ever since we sent him for a pricked bird on a duck shoot about 3 years ago.  Duddy blogs!  At least he doesn't harm them, he comes from soft mouthed breeding lines, and although they were stressed at the time, they were all lying sunbathing later so I'm hoping it won't affect their egg laying.

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2011, 10:36:24 pm »
That would be me or the dog, Annie  :D :&>

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2011, 11:00:05 pm »
He's a good boy really, just has this thing about having to retrieve as many ducks as he can - all at once.  It would be funny if I wasn't so concerned about my ducks. ;D  I lecture him every time and still he does it if he manages to get in.  I have put tighter ties on the gate.

Dizzycow

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Fife
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2011, 07:49:18 am »
I've had a similar experience with my runners and campbells. It took them several weeks to get back into the swing of things, I'm afraid you'll just have to be patient! Mine are now laying every day and I've put some into the incubator. Good luck!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2011, 11:26:56 am »
I have to say that Allez collecting my ducks didn't put any of them off lay - not even for one day! :love:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS